Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups_winners.thumb.jpg.b5fb18580607a749e382266fe55a02a1.jpg

trynda1701

Fullerscopes telescopes - still in use?

So, based on a post about a old Fullerscopes equatorial mount found here...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/310005-fullerscope-mount/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-3402468

...and a couple of forum members showing their own Fullerscopes telescopes there, are there any others who still have, and especially USE their Fullerscopes?

There were a couple of Newtonian scopes shown on that thread above, I'd love to see more. But I'd also like to see any refractors still in use. I almost went for a three inch refractor back in the early 80s. If folks are still using them, I'd love to hear thoughts and some pics would be nice too.

I've read about quality control issues on the mounts, but what were the scopes like,  mirrors and lenses both. Tell us your stories.

Mark

I know a couple of people with fullerscopes. One has a 10" newt and the other an 8". The 8" was up for sale. The 10" is used regularly, and he has had it from new nearly 40 years ago.

Posted (edited)

I still have my 8.5 inch f6 Newtonian with plastic tube (which was bought as a bunch of components rather than the finished article - cheaper that way I think), although as of last September it has been swapped out for a Skywatcher 12", so not strictly still in use. It now sits forlornly in the corner of the obs under a white sheet. Somewhere in the garden shed I still have the MkII mount it used to sit on, but I don't think this has been used in earnest for 40 years or more!

NigelM

Edited by dph1nm

Yes, I had a Fullerscope 8.5 inch F8. "A" grade mirrors but "B" everything else. The tube had tube end metal rims & a mirror access door. I upgraded to a Vixen focuser to take a 36.4mm fit Vixen 32mm Erfle. 

Mk 3 mount (best setting circles ever) with an electric RA drive. It was protected by a glass 1 amp fuse which could be bought from Tandy and powered by a lead acid external battery powered by crocodile clips. 

The mirror was excellent & never got out of collimation in its heavy cel. Great for doubles & globulars especially. 

Polar alignment was with the finderscope then the Erfle. Awkward & imprecise. Mount's big failing was it's wobbly swivelling on the pier top. Altitude adjustment by loosening & tightening a big bolt. 

Sold for a Celestron C8 OTA when I moved to a smaller house with high steps & then upsized to a 12 inch F5 Dobsonian eventually. The C8 is still in occasional use. 

OOUK is probably the domestic market's modern day equivalent of Fullerscope for OTAs & sensibly they make & sell Dobsonian mounts too. I wonder what Dudley Fuller would have made Dob mounts from. 

I once bought a 6" reflector from them. They had what they called "unit purchase plan" or something like that where you selected  various components to suit your budget. Anyway,  I was unsure whether to choose the grade A or B mirror. So I was chatting to the chap about this and he told  me to go for the B mirror.  I asked him why and he said "well, because of the seeing, there may only be two or maybe three nights a year when the A will be better and you might be at the pictures or the bingo on that night". Priceless. Bought the B in the end and never regretted it.

• Like 2

I am still using my MkIII and the MkIV. Both have the original bronze wormwheels. 7" 366T on the MkIV.

Both were bought secondhand and fitted with stainless steel shafts to end their long battle against rust.

Both live outside under tarpaulins. Which doesn't suit the plain steel worms.

The MkIV handles my 6" f/8 refractor quite effortlessly. Solid as a rock.

A 5" f/15 was okay too.  My 7" f/12 was slightly beyond its limits.

Though I used it for imaging the Mercury transit with a Neximage.

A 10" f/8 reflector was more of a struggle. Yet Fullerscopes showed a 10" on the MkIII.

Both mountings rely [heavily] on massive, welded stands each too heavy to lift manually.

I had a contact who fitted an AWR belt drive Goto on his MkIV.

Another was restoring a Fullerscopes 12" Cassegrain.

The image below is my MkIV just after I completed its restoration.

Engraved setting circles need a magnifier to read.

I had the Skytracker VFO to go with it until I fried it with the endless Mercury transit.

fullerscopes MkIV rsz 500.jpg

• Like 2

Hello,

I have 4" f15 brass and black refractor. It has a very good lens. I have used it up to 380 x when looking at Jupiter last year in good seeing, bit of a dim image though !

It rides on an old Cooke equatorial mount.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HAsun said:

Hello,

I have 4" f15 brass and black refractor. It has a very good lens. I have used it up to 380 x when looking at Jupiter last year in good seeing, bit of a dim image though !

It rides on an old Cooke equatorial mount.

That sounds like a beast of a scope. Do you have any pictures?

Don't hear much about Fullerscope's refractors. I suppose there weren't many made relative to the reflectors.

Posted (edited)

@Rusted

That is a wonderful restoration on that MkIV mount. Beautiful. Is that the original colour? Also, I loved the pics of your MkIII mount on the other thread.😎

Plus, thanks for that video!

@HAsun

Yes, would like to see any pictures if you have any. Which country are you based in? X380 magnification on Jupiter doesn't sound like UK skies!😁

Edited by trynda1701
  • Like 1

Hi

Originally it would have had matt black, wrinkle paint.

I inherited it with scruffy black paint so decided on an update.

The first Hammerite I tried was light metallic blue.

It looked too awful to find polite words to describe it.

So something a little less "sudden" was in order.

It has lasted well out of doors under cover with two original coats about 15 years ago.

A bit of rust is showing on the steel pier now.

I thought I'd paint it all white one day but never have. 

It might put off the birds which like to nest in the base fork. :icon_biggrin:

Telescopes mixed 493 rsz smallest.jpg

• Like 2