Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

geordie85

Can it be true?

Yeah it's true...

A true visionary. So inspiring. R.I.P.

What I think beggars belief is that he defied all predictions by living to anything like that age and it's impossible not to believe that the power of his brain, the intensity of the mental activity in which he engaged, didn't trump the efforts of his illness to destroy him. But he defeated it. Truly a giant of a man - and incredibly funny when he wanted to be.

Olly

• Like 2

Yes, sad news indeed. Condolences to his family and friends.

I hadn't realised he was in his 70s. A long and very productive life, despite his illness. He was indeed a brilliant man. He will be missed.

15 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

What I think beggars belief is that he defied all predictions by living to anything like that age and it's impossible not to believe that the power of his brain, the intensity of the mental activity in which he engaged, didn't trump the efforts of his illness to destroy him. But he defeated it. Truly a giant of a man - and incredibly funny when he wanted to be.

Olly

Couldn't agree more Olly. The man had better things to do than contemplate death, therefore there was
no space in his head to accommodate Gloom and Doom thought. He thwarted the Grim Reaper's attempts for many years.

It's a great loss to science and mankind, a true genius of the 21 century, he had a wonderful sense of

humour too, he will be sadly missed.

RIP 

IMG_3066.PNG

RIP to a great man who will be missed by many,  no matter the level of education.

“A Brief History of Time” - anybody who can write a book with that as the title must have an immense intellect and lot of confidence in how to apply it, which Professor Stephen Hawking most certainly did.

RIP