Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

reducer for guide scope?

Hello all, 

After giving PHD2 drift alignment a go for the first time, I've concluded that it just takes too long for someone who doesn't have a permanent setup.  I've been looking into trying Sharpcap polar alignment, but one of the requirements is that it needs at least 1 degree field of view.  I recently purchased a ZWO 120MM and ST-80 for guiding (which I'm starting to regret now the EvoGuide is out!) which unfortunately only gives me about 0.7 degrees field of view... is this going to be problematic?  Would a 0.5x reducer work to up my field of view?

17 minutes ago, scitmon said:

PHD2 drift alignment

Hi. Other than drift, there are two other polar alignment methods available in PHD2. They are listed beneath drift on the Tools menu. One is similar to the SharpCap method **, plus you have the advantage of one fewer app to have to mess with in the dark. All three PHD2 methods will work with your camera.

** you need the latest version of PHD2

HTH and clear skies.

I use an ST80 with a QHY5L ii M which gives a field of view of 0.69° x 0.48° and Sharpcap polar align solves this with no problem, so might be worth trying without a Barlow to start with?  °8

Archived