SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remote imaging experiances

peter shah

On 3/13/2018 at 19:44, peter shah said:

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I've been extremely frustrated with the amount of imaging time I have been getting here in the UK due to the weather. I have so much kit but feel I'm not getting enough use out of it.

So I'm looking at buying some remote imaging time. I was wondering if any of you have had any experiences and whether you were happy with what you paid for.

cheers

Peter

Hijacked. :eek:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I buy an item from ENS Optical, the packaging comes with a flyer for a remote imaging scope in Spain.

I am more interested in locations as these people know where to establish their equipment. Then I can book holidays there.

Just out of interest as I have no idea whatsoever how hosting is charged, do you pay whether you can image or not?  For example, all barring a fleeting moment, the whole of March has been pretty much a washout where my house is in Spain, and I'm fairly sure that goes for most of it.  Do you still pay a subscription of some sort and the weather is just one of those things, or do you pay for the time imaging only, or amount of data?

1 hour ago, RayD said:

Just out of interest as I have no idea whatsoever how hosting is charged, do you pay whether you can image or not?  For example, all barring a fleeting moment, the whole of March has been pretty much a washout where my house is in Spain, and I'm fairly sure that goes for most of it.  Do you still pay a subscription of some sort and the weather is just one of those things, or do you pay for the time imaging only, or amount of data?

When I last enquired it was about £200.00 a month, regardless of the weather, if shared between 2 people I believe, so not cheap.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

When I last enquired it was about £200.00 a month, regardless of the weather, if shared between 2 people I believe, so not cheap.

Dave

Wow ok, no that isn't cheap.  I suppose it would be too hard to do it on a data downloaded tariff, but must be frustrating paying that with a month like we've had.

Even paying per image, 10 or so for processing & stacking is costly, if say £6 each. 

And then what when you have one processed to your liking? Go in search of praise? Sell to a magazine or library? Maybe a competition?

Must be more fun & self-fulfillment to create something good with your own resources rather than rental, which relies so much more on a third party. 

Just been having a look at the iTelescope site and have noted the following quotes:

"for the advanced user you can plan your own observing session by specifying RA/DEC coordinates, sub-exposure times and filters, or even plan multiple targets in a single session. You can also dither your images, select camera binning, and request other imaging formats.All images are delivered in a calibrated and raw FITS file format. All sessions come with email usage receipts which contain the sessions log file and jpeg preview images. You own all rights to your data."

"Depressing weeks of clouds and light pollution at home is no issue any longer - crystal clear and dark skies are just a few clicks away. iTelescope has opened many new doors of potential study that would otherwise not have been realised.

— DAMIAN PEACH, Astrophotgrapher "

So it seems that with this site at least, all the decisions (what to image, which instrument to use to image it, which filters to use, the combination of sub-lengths, even the framing by means of careful selection of the centre of the frame) are made by you. It would also appear that one "Damien Peach" (apparently some sort of astrophotographer :icon_biggrin:) approves.

Of course, you are still missing out on standing around in sub-zero winter temperatures while your laptop controls everything ....

I've had a look on the iTelescope site, and some of the lower-end plans look do-able for the occasional user, on the range of £20-120 per month, depending on how many imaging points you want / need.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 19:17, ollypenrice said:

Point taken. You're quite right - but sometimes a good question like Peter's does lead to other good questions.

Sorry, Peter.

Olly

I agree ....Its very been interesting reading.

Archived