SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I have an LS35THa. Do I need more?

Hi,

I have an LS35THa.

It has a single etalon with a 0.75 Angtrom bandwidth and a B600 blocking filter.

It's an £850 scope.

So...

I was looking at "upgrading" to a Lunt 60mm

It has a single etalon with a 0.75 Angtrom bandwidth and a B600 blocking filter - Mmm... seems very familier...

It's £1700. 

I don't find the focuser on mine 35 doesn't, well, focus, and the image is sharp enough. Is its aperture, importantly, "small"? I've seen some amazing images in the 35mm, even from Lunt themselves. It seems that image processing is the most important aspect of any H-a scope.

What actual visual improvement will I get for a scope that's double the price, or even more expensive versions? I'm happy to buy - even an 80mm, if I am actually getting another £1000-£4000 of improvement but I don't need one just for the sake of it.

Confused!

Many thanks,

Buz

The Lunt 35 is a great starting scope and gives great views moving up to a 60mm brings you into another solar world the disk is bigger for one surface and prom detail is higher 

the focuser is better being a crayford not helical going to an 80 from a 60 is not quite the same as going from a 35 to 60 or from a 35 I own both so I am lucky to be able to compare 

the 80 is a big investment in my opinion worth the extra to me but 5k vs 2k Is a big step and double stacking is the way to go also which adds another 2.5k to an 80m but you can pick up a 50 or 60 double for under 1.5k 

I have 1 35mm Lunt and find it excellent for visual, but lacks in the imaging aspect as focus is achieved by turning the eyepiece holder which turns the camera in the process.  In fact if I had realised how badly the design was I would not have got the 35mm in the first instance.  I would have waited until I could have afforded a 50mm.

2 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

I have 1 35mm Lunt and find it excellent for visual, but lacks in the imaging aspect as focus is achieved by turning the eyepiece holder which turns the camera in the process.  In fact if I had realised how badly the design was I would not have got the 35mm in the first instance.  I would have waited until I could have afforded a 50mm.

The 50 mm has the same focuser set up I had one also before the 60mm and there is still a big advantage from the 60mm in both visual and photography wise the image is much bigger for visual and surface detail when seeing is good is awesome through the 60mm

The resoluton of the 60mm s much better IMO and if imaging is the way you are going then I would go for the 60mm.

You might also want to consider the 1200 blocking filter if you are imaging.

I have replaced my focuser with a motor focuser and also have a D/S unit .

I can not only spend my money but am also very good at spending other peoples as well :evil6:

2 hours ago, Ama Noody said:

What actual visual improvement will I get for a scope that's double the price, or even more expensive versions? I'm happy to buy - even an 80mm, if I am actually getting another £1000-£4000 of improvement but I don't need one just for the sake of it.

Hi Buz. I’ve had my Lunt 35 for 8 years, it has the basic B400 diagonal. I’ve compared it directly alongside a friend’s Lunt 60 with a B600. I’m commenting on visual use only. Conditions were good, high sun, very transparent sky. Prominence detail was very similar indeed. The wider view with the B600 was nice. But personally I don’t feel the need to spend a lot more money to get only a relatively small improvement in prominence detail.

However, that’s not the whole story, because detail on the Solar disc was a big improvment with the Lunt 60 over my L35. Very satisfying. And when my clubmate added his double stack to his scope, surface detail was amazing......

So for visual views of prominences I’d not bother to upgrade. Only the person spending the money can decide about splashing a lot more money for the undoubted gain of surface detail

HTH, Ed.

Also the other thing to consider is pressure tunning is better as it doesn't have a sweet spot also bino viewing is awesome through the 60 and 80 I struggled with the 50 not enough in focus it brings out so much more detail like covering your head and so much more Comfertable to view with both eyes .

Hi all.

Firstly, many thanks for your replies. :)

From what I've gleaned, the 60mm B1200 (I will certainly be imaging) is the way to go, and probably provides the best return on investment ("investment" LOL!). I was just about to ask about pressure tuning vs tilt, and that's been answered too :).

There are a couple of LS60THa/B1200C around the UK boards but they are both tilt tuned. One advert on ebay is totally confused. The model number is of, I'm sure, just the filter (LS60FHa) yet the word "scope" is used, there is a photo of the pressure-tuned double stacked OTA, yet the same add elsewhere states that it's only tilt. And I thought that I was the one who is confused!!

Well, I'll ring around tomorrow for a LS60THA/B1200CPT.

I'd like to double stack it (as I'll not go 80mm now, I have the budget).

I don't suppose a UK seller has a LS60THA/B1200CPT perchance for sale?

13 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Also the other thing to consider is pressure tunning is better as it doesn't have a sweet spot also bino viewing is awesome through the 60 and 80 I struggled with the 50 not enough in focus it brings out so much more detail like covering your head and so much more Comfertable to view with both eyes .

Which bino set do you use for the 60? 

Oo, just noticed that you have Takitis! I have a 106 being built, extremely slowly,  in Japan. I hope it arrives before I go senile and forget who ordered it!

I would have strongly recommended trying a Quark over an LS60 , especially from an imaging perspective and visually to

given they’re bandwidth outperform any Lunt I’ve owned or used SS or DS.

However they’re not grab n go and do require some set up time.

Brian 

Well, I now have a 60mm and what a difference! The day was kinder than expected and provided a few minutes of clear sky, so I got "my" first light with it.

As advised, the image was larger, surface detail was much more obvious and very much sharper. There is a nice prom at around 7 o'clock that is so much easier to see. It's a shame that I didn't have more time today, though I 'm happy.

Many thanks to garryblueboy. First class trade and top advice.

The best full disk solar view I have over had have been through an objective filter in a 70mm ED  scope

www.solarscope.co.uk/sf-range.html 

Not cheap but you are dancing around their price range.

I have a 100mm PST MOD and it's great for about £1000 all in.

I'm pursuing a somewhat "lonely furrow" on this too! (later). I found
my (slaved over) Lunt 50 a tad unsatisfying? I sense Lunt 60 owners
are happier with their hardware & convenience! I sense I spent the
price difference "buying random stuff", upgrading, "worrying" etc. :p

I cannot (sensibly) afford a bigger Lunt! THAT said, I find renewed
enthusiasm working on an 80mm Solar "Frankenscope". With CARE
(eyeball safety is paramount!) it is *possible* to "upgrade" a solar 
setup at lesser cost than buying "whole new scope"! The operative
word here is CARE! These days, most people advocate Quarks? lol
But I still feel my solution has merit. A bit of research and effort... :) 

Congratulations on your new scope. I loved the LS50, and wasn't sure whether the substantial extra investment for the LS60 double stack B1200 would be worth it but it absolutely was. On good days it takes magnification of 70x, and binoviewing adds further detail - something I couldn't do with my previous LS50 (with a B400 blocking filter.) They are all great telescopes though. 

IMG_0780.JPG

Archived