Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Harry Hare

NEW JOINER

Hi All, Just like to thank you for letting me join, I've just recently bought a Skywatcher Explorer 130p Alt/AZ Goto telescope which came last Friday and although I still haven't got any alignment yet I can't wait until my first clear night.  The Gallery has some fantastic photo's on it and some of the topics I have browsed through has some great advice that I can pick up - looks like the quote from someone "first two weeks after you buy a scope is always cloudy" seem to be true.  I bought my telescope in order to take photographs but picked the Alt AZ mount instead of the EQ mount (long exposures) but I hope that I'll still be able to take some photo's of the planets, sun and moon and any tips would be gratefully received - here's to clear skies ! 

Edited by Harry Hare
grammer
  • Like 2

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us as there's some great information and knowledgeable folks about. Look forward to seeing you around :) 

Just now, Harry Hare said:

Big thanks Sara I will check out your website have a good night

I don't have any information on planets, moon or solar imaging as you said in your OP :) If you go down the route of DSO's then get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' available on the FLO website.... it's a excellent starting point and will save you a lot of hassle and wasted money by getting the right kit :) 

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL. Looking forward to seeing some images :) 

Hi Dinoco gonna get myself into a routine when taking my telescope out into my garden and finding my way around the sky, think my first objective is to take sharp photographs of the moon and once I am comfortable of how my telescope and camera work together I will turn towards the heavens and try to capture Orion Nebula 

8 minutes ago, Harry Hare said:

Hi Dinoco gonna get myself into a routine when taking my telescope out into my garden and finding my way around the sky, think my first objective is to take sharp photographs of the moon and once I am comfortable of how my telescope and camera work together I will turn towards the heavens and try to capture Orion Nebula 

Sounds like a great plan. Have bought the 130p  myself a few weeks ago and have used it a couple of times. It’s a really great scope and should last you for a while. Hope you get to use it soon!

• Like 1

Thanks Dinoco the more I use it the mre easier it will become well here's hoping anyway lo

l

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL harry..... I have a sw explorer 130p you will enjoy it mate gives pleasant views of the planets especially Jupiter.

do you have the 130/650 or the 130/900 version ?

also have you downloaded any apps to your phone to assist you navigating the night sky while your learning?

Ive noticed many on here use stellarium or sky safari. Personally I've always used sky map.

have fun mate 

Hi Harry and welcome to the lounge, A good way of finding your way around the skies is with the free Planetarium download www.stellarium.org/ you can configure the settings to your location and add various plugins.

13 hours ago, Harry Hare said:

"first two weeks after you buy a scope is always cloudy" 

Ah...it's your fault!:icon_biggrin:

Welcome on board..and I'm sure it wasn't really your fault. Though as you will discover, the weather on this fair isle leaves a lot to be desired when it come to astronomy..

Steve

Hello and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy your time with us, see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.

Hi, Harry, and welcome to SGL.

The moon can give itself to some nice 'single shot' images, but the usual process for lunar/planetary is to use a 'webcam' type camera, record a video of a couple of thousand frames and stack the best ones - this produces an final result that is better than any of the individual frames. There is free software that will handle all this - sharpcap for taking the video, registax for processing it into a final image. This is all quite possible with an alt-az mount.

DSOs are slightly more tricky. You are limited in terms of both individual exposure length (because the mount does not track the sky perfectly) and total duration of the shoot from beginning to end (because you get a thing called field rotation). But it is possible to take basic images of some of the brighter ones - open clusters are particularly suitable - and I have even seen a photo of the horsehead nebula that was taken with 2-second exposures (several thousand of them!) which were then combined and cropped. But, I would have to say, that an EQ mount does make things an awful lot easier.

+1 for Making Every Photon Count