Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think I just saw my first planet..

Redscouse

38 minutes ago, Redscouse said:

If it's over 5/6 I don't even bother trying.

That is a roughly valid case for naked eye visibility, say 4.5 to 5 from a reasonable suburban garden, 5.5 to 6 under a dark sky and better under really good conditions.

I have seen Uranus in binoculars not so long ago, and Neptune would be similarly visible under good skies with binoculars. In my 100mm refractor Uranus shows as a very small disk at high power. Your 130mm scope will show them both quite easily, just don't expect any detail.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your first planet!!

Thats a great moment when you realize it's a planet!

A bright star in the evening, that's how it started for me. In my case it was Venus and a new hobby was born!

43 minutes ago, Eastman said:

Thats a great moment when you realize it's a planet!

It was indeed! :icon_biggrin:

I was ready for it tonight with my camera on the tripod. Used a 300mm lens to get a couple of close shots, still nothing more than a mere dot in the sky. I then switched to a wide angle lens so I could get some landscape into the frame. 

As a side note. Looking again tonight realisation set in that what I thought was Mercury last night may well have actually been Venus and in my excitement I missed Mercury just above it. When I came in to check Stellarium, Venus was below the horizon so I assumed I'd seen Mercury. Oh well, If that means I can't see them in order of placement I'll happily settle for first come first seen! :)

Mercury_and_Venus_with_insets.thumb.jpg.3ad2f6b449ee09bcc1a3ccae85a37fc3.jpg
Mercury_and_Venus.thumb.jpg.15cbbc05a609834f0eabf3cf4de29dcd.jpg

Although I have to say, I quite like this one below. Venus just peeping through the gap in the clouds. I waited around 8/9 minutes to get that shot. Wasn't sure where/if it would appear in the gap but call it beginners luck and she peered right through at me. :) 

5aa83b57ef3d1_IMG_6193(2).thumb.jpg.f00218645078cb27c746b3557cf96ee3.jpg

Edit: First two photos have the telephone lines brushed out. (poorly I might add :) )

23 hours ago, Redscouse said:

Thanks all for your kind words of encouragement. I've never bothered looking for planets because I was under the impression we couldn't see them for a few years so finding out I can has pleasantly surprised me. :thumbsup:

Don't want to disappoint you but the first planet that you observe was not through your scope but rather it was the one where your scope is on!

Saturn is breathtaking, Jupiter is on the other hand somewhat more visually dynamic with its 4 satellites moving fast and at times making shadows.

Enjoy!

3 minutes ago, VNA said:

Saturn is breathtaking, Jupiter is on the other hand somewhat more visually dynamic with its 4 satellites moving fast and at times making shadows.

Looking forward to it very much. Planning on getting up early/staying awake all night on either Friday or Saturday night,, hopefully I'll catch one or two of them then, weather permitting. 

6 hours ago, Redscouse said:

Oh well, If that means I can't see them in order of placement I'll happily settle for first come first seen!

So photograph them in order ... Mercury & Venus on the same photo will count because you start at the top and work downwards ...

Archived