Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sometimes its hard to decide what to sell....

Eenie mean-me mine-y no!

Some gear does not get used, or hardly at all. But does that justify selling it?

What if that eyepiece is just needing the right circumstance, filter the right nebula, camera the right lens etc.

Multiple items should be easier to choose which goes to market. Should be. Sometimes the best are better sold, if they have good reviews, though they are the hardest to part with.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might have this decision to make once the bresser arrives and had first light, i will have 3 scopes and dont want 3, think it might have to be the 127 mak but i really like this scope, might just have to keep all three

I had managed to collect a number of scopes, eyepieces, mounts, binoculars etc over the last three or four years which were not getting any use at all so decided to thin the herd a bit and with the proceeds bought a Takahashi FC-100DC. I've also put up for sale my 120ed and SE goto mount.

I want to end up with the fc-100dc, 150 f8 newt and the 12" dob and just have a handful. of quality eyepieces, I think I'm nearly there.

Avtar

2 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

A lot of us have more equipment than we use regular, especially with the UK weather, the position of the planets currently and the Solar minimum beginning really become evident. That said, I am not selling anything, just in case....:icon_biggrin:

The weather certainly has made me re-think, but also what I want to concentrate on most, & what would not contribute much towards that, so can go.

I have done that, but the gleam of glass glinting from optics adverts has fed a see-want-buy over the last year. Now that's gone into reverse a bit to assess-sell-save. Or swap perhaps. 

A travel dual purpose scope, robust, compact, back-packable, that takes 31.7mm eye pieces with min 80mm aperture, good ED optics (or a small Mak) is now what I am looking around for. 

I've now sold most of the better fund raising items I no longer use and should sell more really.  Some things are waiting to see what I end up doing in astro-photography.

With the weather in this country I sometimes think I should just sell everything - full stop!!  Actually, I have started again from scratch several times - well... almost.

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

I sometimes think I should sell everything and start again from scratch,  but get it right this time ...

Thought of that myself, but i have everything already that i need to get back to basics. If i ever sell up, i'll keep certain things.

I cant remember the last time i has my 8se outside. Im more of a binocular guy again. Quick and easy. No fuss. 

Still waiting to pop my HA cherry. 

I will keep my scopes but reduce the eps. Those on the short list for sale are TS & GSO 68 deg, TV 32 Plossl, Pentax XW 7 & 3.5, TV 2.5x Barlow, pair of Vixen LV 9mm eps, Celestron Ultima LX & maybe a TV Panoptic.

In addition an Ostara Elinor 10x50 bins, Carl Zeiss 7x50 Marine/Classic & Nikon Prostaff 5 10x50 bins.

I have a rule that if I haven't used something after two years, then it gets put on the kill list.

I feel the worst when thinking about selling something. Once the deed is done though, I rarely think again about it. 

Some I keep for nostalgic value, but generally if I have gone through the evaluation of future use, its OK.

Owning different types of scopes, I tend to keep eps that do well in all, like my LVWs, which are ring fenced.

I have 6 scopes at the moment:

WOZS71 (gets used on my dual rig)

ED80 (Gets used on my dual rig)

SWED120 (had a lot of use out of it, but now I bought the SW130PDS its getting little use at home, but not yet ventured to take the PDS to astro camps and am worried about dew).  Might consider selling this if the 130PDS works fine at camps.

SW130PDS (currently using this a  lot from home, not been brave enough to take it to camp yet -concerns about dew)

ETX105 (deforked), bought this for doing planetary, but then an ETX125 came along with more magnification, so will probably sell this once I have checked out the ETX125 and all is well including a weird focusser.

ETX125 (Deforked) bought this for planetary, hope it works well. 

So might sell the ED120 - probably sell the ETX105.

Humming and haaing.  But normally I sell stuff on a regular basis, only a couple of times have I regretted selling something and having to replace it.  

Carole 

On 3/13/2018 at 06:29, bottletopburly said:

Sell nothing , unless you keep tripping over the 12”F5  ornament in the living room 

My 12” F5 sits in the front porch. The wife’s given up complaining :happy8:

What did you regret selling?

I had a previous ETX125 for planetary imaging and decided I was so useless at imaging planets I wasn't going to do it any more and sold it.  But then got lulled into doing it again.

I had an A4 EL panel for my 200PDS, sold the 200PDS and then sold the panel as well.  Now I have a 130PDS and need the A4 panel again.  Duh!!!

I sold a new Atik314L because I found the FOV jump from a DSLR too much of a shock and then bought an Atik383L instead.  About 18 months later I decided I needed a smaller camera for the smaller targets, and re-bought an Atik314L but this time a second hand one.

I think that is all.  I am now a bit more cautious before I sell stuff.

Carole 

Archived