Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommend Planetarium or Observatory UK/Europe

Mowbs

I’m going to do a 1 or 2 month tour of Europe in my camper van this spring and I would like to visit a planetarium either in Europe or the UK, preferably avoiding London and Paris or other major cities with low emission zones. 

I visited the planetarium in London when I was a child and thoroughly enjoyed it but I see it is now closed. I am planning to visit the space centre in Leicester on my way home which seems to get mixed reviews regarding having a lot aimed at children. 

I was surprised at how many planetariums there actually are with a google search. Can anyone recommend one, or a good public observatory? 

TIA

Nice plan. I would have suggested the Space Centre but youbhave that covered already. I thought it was quite good, although I think you need to choose a paid for planetarium session, not a freebie which I did not think was very good. The exhibits and rockets are quite impressive, in my opinion.

If you are in the Val D’Aosta area of northern Italy you could look for an observatory in the hills above a place called Nus. It’s website http://www.oavda.it/en/ is a bit iffy, but there seems to be more info on this website: http://www.lovevda.it/en/database/8/museums/nus/astronomical-observatory-and-planetarium/1316 . I have driven past the autostrada exit with signs to it in my campervan many times and have always been curious to go there. I nearly did last summer, but it didn’t quite work out. If you do go I look forward to hearing your experiences. 

Have a great trip, wherever the road takes you!

Thanks Peter, that’s very kind. I had a look at your website and I will definitely drop in past on my way home if the sky is clear. 

Photogav, I’m planning visiting Aushwitz and then heading down to Maranello to visit the Ferrari museum so I won’t be far away from Val D’Aosta, thanks for that suggestion, I’ll have a read up on that. 

The one at the National Space Centre in Leicester is supposed to be good and on your route - I keep planning to visit.

http://education.spacecentre.co.uk/programmes/sir-patrick-moore-planetarium

Sorry that's the education link - you need the general visitor link:

https://spacecentre.co.uk/whats-here/#!mg_ld=591

It's the biggest in the UK.

"When you buy a ticket to the National Space Centre you will also be able to see one of our award winning planetarium shows at no extra cost.

Each show combines the latest video technologies, sound and computer animation to immerse you in a full 360º fulldome cinema experience. The Sir Patrick Moore Planetarium is the largest in the UK and was opened in 2012 by the astronomy hero Sir Patrick Moore to a packed house.

Monday to Friday in Leicestershire school term time the show is the award winning We Are Stars, but at weekends you can choose to either see We Are Stars, or a presenter led Tour of the Night Sky.

If there is capacity, you can also buy a second show, so allowing you to have both experiences.

We Are Stars – narrated by Andy Serkis

ROLL UP, ROLL UP…
COME INSIDE AND EXPERIENCE THE UNIVERSE LIKE NEVER BEFORE… LET ME TAKE YOU ON A JOURNEY THROUGH TIME AND SPACE.
We Are Stars allows you to explore the secrets of our cosmic chemistry, and our explosive origins.

Connect life on Earth to the evolution of the Universe by following the formation of Hydrogen atoms to the synthesis of Carbon, and the molecules for life.

This show is an immersive 360 degree fulldome experience suitable for all the family. It includes educational content that will help children aged 7-14, as well as those with an interest in science and space.

Tour of the Night Sky

This is a presenter led tour of what you can see in the sky above our city in the past, present and future. Take a tour that you can help create, through our solar system, to discover planets and moons. Go beyond to see other galaxies, stars, nebula and the wonders all around us.

Learn about the constellations and the stories behind them from cultures around the world.

This show is a traditional presenter led planetarium show and is suitable for those with an interest in science and astronomy. The show is suitable for children aged 5+."

If you are heading that way and on to the Mont Blanc tunnel, I can recommend a campsite at Courmayeur, just inside Italy from the tunnel. It’s called La Sorgente, website: http://www.campinglasorgente.net/index.php?lang=en - really beautiful place, though the road to get there is quite exciting if you have a big van! Thankfully it’s only a few miles.

• 1 month later...

Archived