Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kidderminster newbie

Ande

Hi all

Really warm and informative forum you have here ?.  Always been fascinated by the night skies and did try to get into astronomy several years ago with a Meade ETX 70. Couldn’t figure out the GOTO system for the life of me, and was cluelessly swinging the ‘scope across the sky in the hope of finding something. Stumbled upon Saturn once, and that was great, but I soon gave up due to not having the time resources to go about things properly (I was a single parent back then).  

Anyhow, fast-forward to now, and I am ready to try again, only properly this time.  After much forum searching, I think I’ve settled on a Skysearcher Dob 250px.  An awful lot of people seem to be recommending it, so I’m quite excited. Hoping to purchase at the end of the week. I live in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, and there is a fair degree of light pollution but Im hopeful of some small successes.  But I think I’ll be needing plenty of help from here on in, so please be patient, and thanks in advance ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Ande, and welcome to SGL.

The 250px is a lovely scope. Have you seen one? When I bought one, I was surprised by how big it was and found it inconvenient for getting in and out of the house. Others have not had this problem, but I always caution people to see one "in the flesh" before purchase.

Plenty of help available on this site, and a ready willingness to impart it. Just post your questions on the appropriate board.

15 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Ande, and welcome to SGL.

The 250px is a lovely scope. Have you seen one? When I bought one, I was surprised by how big it was and found it inconvenient for getting in and out of the house. Others have not had this problem, but I always caution people to see one "in the flesh" before purchase.

Plenty of help available on this site, and a ready willingness to impart it. Just post your questions on the appropriate board.

Hi Demonperformer

Thanks for the warm welcome. I haven’t actually seen one for real.  I have seen a couple of YouTube videos where there are people stood next to them, to give me a point of reference.  And yes, they look positively monstrous!  I had considered more conventional scopes, but these dobs seem to get recommended more than most, so I’m sort of bowing to the collective knowledge and experience of others. I had also contemplated the slightly smaller 200p, but figured that the footprint wasn’t that much different, so I may as well go for the bigger one to save upgradeitis in six months time.  Happy to be swayed away from my thinking if there is a more sensible path to take ?

5 minutes ago, Ande said:

dobs seem to get recommended more than most, so I’m sort of bowing to the collective knowledge and experience of others. I had also contemplated the slightly smaller 200p, but figured that the footprint wasn’t that much different

Yes, a dob will definitely give you "the most bang for your buck". I have never owned the 200 so I do not know how much smaller the base is than for the 250 - others may have a more informed opinion.

Thanks.

Welcome Ande,

i have the 250p-ds, its manageable to move as a tube on its own as long as you are 'active'  so i would say the dob would mean two trips: base and ota.

one suggestion is the dual speed focuser vs the single, having used the dual speed, i would never go back to a single speed version, its so much easier to get to grips with

Gooo luck

Mike

33 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

Welcome Ande,

i have the 250p-ds, its manageable to move as a tube on its own as long as you are 'active'  so i would say the dob would mean two trips: base and ota.

one suggestion is the dual speed focuser vs the single, having used the dual speed, i would never go back to a single speed version, its so much easier to get to grips with

Gooo luck

Mike

Thanks Mike

Is the dual speed Focuser a built-in feature, or an upgrade?  My mind is currently in meltdown with all the forum browsing I’ve been doing, and 99% of it going straight over my head.

Hi Ande and a warm welcome from me!  When I bought my first scope I went for the biggest one I could see and afford (at an exhibition), this happened to be the 200P and an EQ5 mount, dead pleased with the results it gives so the 250PX should offer you great views, good luck!

Welcome to SGL! and if Goto systems can be a little confusing don't hesitate to fall back to basic non goto scopes. Funny thing, ive had Goto scopes and loved them for their convenience, but the most fun i've always had bar none

was pushing my lightbridge from here to there. There was a connection, to the sky, that didn't exist with a goto scope, like a race car driver in a classic car, without power assisted gadgetry, being one with the road, same feeling.

4 hours ago, Ande said:

Hi all

Really warm and informative forum you have here ?.  Always been fascinated by the night skies and did try to get into astronomy several years ago with a Meade ETX 70. Couldn’t figure out the GOTO system for the life of me, and was cluelessly swinging the ‘scope across the sky in the hope of finding something. Stumbled upon Saturn once, and that was great, but I soon gave up due to not having the time resources to go about things properly (I was a single parent back then).  

Anyhow, fast-forward to now, and I am ready to try again, only properly this time.  After much forum searching, I think I’ve settled on a Skysearcher Dob 250px.  An awful lot of people seem to be recommending it, so I’m quite excited. Hoping to purchase at the end of the week. I live in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, and there is a fair degree of light pollution but Im hopeful of some small successes.  But I think I’ll be needing plenty of help from here on in, so please be patient, and thanks in advance ?

Well, well, well I have a fellow SGL'er in my midst! Yep, the LP can be severe in places - I used to live by the hospital before moving to the edge of town. 

Drop us a PM anytime you wanna have an observing session, I have access to a good dark site - which I will start visiting again once the threat of ice has gone (dont like driving on country roads in the winter).

1 hour ago, Ande said:

Is the dual speed Focuser a built-in feature, or an upgrade?  

Hi, well.. on the standard newt there is a difference (the 'p' version vs the 'p-ds' = dual speed), see the FLO website https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/page/2/

However, i checked the Dobsonians, and they don't have the same option as far as i can see - so it would be an upgrade, and i would therefore suggest you have a go with the single speed anyway, no one here seems to complain about it on the dob..

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Welcome to SGL! and if Goto systems can be a little confusing don't hesitate to fall back to basic non goto scopes. Funny thing, ive had Goto scopes and loved them for their convenience, but the most fun i've always had bar none

was pushing my lightbridge from here to there. There was a connection, to the sky, that didn't exist with a goto scope, like a race car driver in a classic car, without power assisted gadgetry, being one with the road, same feeling.

From what I can gather, GOTO systems seem to have got a lot friendlier over the last 10 years or so.  I think the big dilemma for me is either get a GOTO and see lots more, but poorer quality, or go fully manual and demonstrate my complete ineptitude at sky navigation, but see the odd thing in all it’s glory ?

2 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Well, well, well I have a fellow SGL'er in my midst! Yep, the LP can be severe in places - I used to live by the hospital before moving to the edge of town. 

Drop us a PM anytime you wanna have an observing session, I have access to a good dark site - which I will start visiting again once the threat of ice has gone (dont like driving on country roads in the winter).

Wow!! That’s very kind of you. And reassuring to know that I’m in the same vicinity as someone with a wealth of knowledge. I may well take you up on your generous offer.  Thank you ? 

2 hours ago, mikeyj1 said:

Hi, well.. on the standard newt there is a difference (the 'p' version vs the 'p-ds' = dual speed), see the FLO website https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/page/2/

However, i checked the Dobsonians, and they don't have the same option as far as i can see - so it would be an upgrade, and i would therefore suggest you have a go with the single speed anyway, no one here seems to complain about it on the dob..

Thanks for going the extra mile. Much appreciated.  I’ll see how I get on with things “out of the box” ?

1 minute ago, Demonperformer said:

OR go fully manual and learn the sky -amazing how easy it is once you start.

Well, you say that, lol. I only found Saturn because it was one of the brightest objects in the sky that night. I was amazed when the “star” sprouted rings. A very happy accident ?

3 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Welcome to SGL.  Nice to see another Worcestershire member. :icon_biggrin: 

I thought I’d be alone. Turns out it’s like the cast of Ben Hur ?. Thanks for the warm welcome. 

Archived