SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Maxim DL, ASI 1600 and Lodestar 2

Rodd

Trying to get my asi 1600 with OAG and lodestar2 to image and guide simultaneously using Maxim DL.  Whenever the exposure starts, guiding is put on hold with teh message "Reading CCD Camera".  When the dither delay starts, the guiding resumes.

1) Under properties, camera 1 and camera 2 are called the ASI 1600 pro by the software--no other choices are there.  But teh filter wheel is assigned to camera 1 and bot camera 2, but cooling is reported for both.  Very confusing.  I tried every setting I could find--nothing let me image and guide at the same time.  Does anybody know what is going on?

Thanks,

Rodd

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:  The Lodestar 2 was not being recognized.  The 1600 was being used for guiding AND imaging.  I tried using my ASI 174 camera for guiding and it WAS recognized--but there was no way to bring it to focus.  So--I am dead in the water.  I have 4 very nice scopes, 1 very expensive camera and 1 new, really nice CMOS camera and I can't use any of them!  SBIG has been no help with the jamming filter wheel.  I was going to send the STT-8300 to OPT for diagnosis....but only if I can get teh 1600 to work properly.  I mean, at least the 8300 worked somewhat--between filter jams.  But as long as I was able to coax the wheel to turn without having to take the camera off the scope I made it work.  The most frustrating thing about this hobby is not teh difficulty guiding well, or focusing the system, or even processing the data...its teh fact that there are all these parts from different manufacturers that must be interfaced and there is never a manual or specific directions.  

Rodd

Probably better to ask on the Diffraction Ltd forum.

Anyhow, MaxIm DL does not permit simultaneous download from the main camera and guide cameras, there is a short explanation in the help files as to why. Partly was to do with some cameras having a built-in guide chip that lay behind a single shutter and partly to do with some filter wheels that used built-in IR sensors to detect filter position, as the filter wheel moved between filter positions for the main camera IR would reflect off internal surfaces and flood the guide chip with light. So no simultaneous guiding while main camera downloads is the norm in both MaxIm DL5 and MaxIm DL6.

The other problem with both camera 1 and 2 both showing ASI 1600 and being locked...first is basic, you can not change a camera selection while the cameras are 'Connected" in the camera tab so make sure neither camera is 'connected' in the camera tab, plugged into USB and powered up is ok but the camera tab in MaxIm must show both cameras disconnected before you can change the camera selection.

Make sure you have the very latest ZWO ASI ASCOM and camera drivers loaded, there have been very recent changes to both so visit the ZWO site and download both the basic drivers package and ASCOM package and run them, there is no need to uninstall the existing drivers first.

If you are using MaxIm DL6 from version v6.14 and above then visit the Starlight Xpress website and download the latest MaxIm DL plugin for SX cameras as there were some bugs fixed in the new version. There is no installer for this it is just a file called CCDPlugSXUniversal.dll, replace the file with the same name in the Maxim DL6 folder found in C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Diffraction Ltd \ MaxIm DL6.

When you select ASI1600MM as the camera 1 in the camera chooser dialogue there should be a properties tab, I believe there were some changes to the ASI ASCOM driver to allow you to use two ASI cameras simultaneously such as a ASI1600MM as main camera and ASI120mm as a guider where previously that wasn't possible and I think I read somewhere that in the ASCOM camera driver properties tab there is a selection to make to allow more than one ASI camera to be used simultaneously so have a look in the properties tab and check that is not selected. I'm not really sure about that though and I don't have an ASI1600 to check but it is worth looking.

If still a problem the MaxIm program or it's config folder may be corrupted so if the above steps don't work first re-install MaxIm, in this case your settings won't be lost as the config folder remains untouched. After re-installing you will need to update that plugin for SX cameras again as described above.

Open MaxIm and see if that fixed it, if not the next step will create a new config folder.

Go to the 'My Documents' folder and RENAME the folder MaxIm DL 6 to Old_MaxIm DL6 then launch MaxIm. A new config folder will be created in 'My Documents' that is empty and all settings are at default. Can you now select ASI for camera 1 and SX universal for camera 2 ?

If this fixed the problem you can either reconfigure MaxIm from scratch or if you have lots of settings you want to keep there are two possibilities:

1: Open a request for help on the Diffraction Ltd forum, zip up the entire config folder Old_Maxim DL6 and attach it to your post there, they will need to know which Windows version you are running and which MaxIm DL revision, they may find the problem setting in the config folder and be able to correct it for you.

2: You can transfer the individual config subfolders and files back over from the original (renamed) config folder Old_MaxIm DL6 to the new config folder MaxIm DL6 one subfolder at a time until the problem returns. Once you have identified the corrupted subfolder or file you delete the config folder again, MaxIm DL6 in 'My Documents, launch MaxIm to create a new config folder, close MaxIm and copy and replace all the subfolders and files from Old_MaxIm DL6 to MaxIm DL6 except for the corrupted subfolder/file. This will restore all your settings except for the problem one and then you need to run MaxIm carefully the first time checking each setting is how you want it. I have done this before with my installation and it takes forever, copying one item at a time, launching MaxIm, does it work yes/no, close MaxIm, copy another file over and repeat etc etc. after that time I always kept a backup of the config folder on a flash drive and if MaxIm becomes corrupted I just copy back the good config folder from the flash drive and have a working system again.....

HTH

William.

15 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

Anyhow, MaxIm DL does not permit simultaneous download from the main camera and guide cameras, there is a short explanation in the help files as to why. Partly was to do with some cameras having a built-in guide chip that lay behind a single shutter and partly to do with some filter wheels that used built-in IR sensors to detect filter position, as the filter wheel moved between filter positions for the main camera IR would reflect off internal surfaces and flood the guide chip with light. So no simultaneous guiding while main camera downloads is the norm in both MaxIm DL5 and MaxIm DL6.

The other problem with both camera 1 and 2 both showing ASI 1600 and being locked...first is basic, you can not change a camera selection while the cameras are 'Connected" in the camera tab so make sure neither camera is 'connected' in the camera tab, plugged into USB and powered up is ok but the camera tab in MaxIm must show both cameras disconnected before you can change the camera selection.

Make sure you have the very latest ZWO ASI ASCOM and camera drivers loaded, there have been very recent changes to both so visit the ZWO site and download both the basic drivers package and ASCOM package and run them, there is no need to uninstall the existing drivers first.

If you are using MaxIm DL6 from version v6.14 and above then visit the Starlight Xpress website and download the latest MaxIm DL plugin for SX cameras as there were some bugs fixed in the new version. There is no installer for this it is just a file called CCDPlugSXUniversal.dll, replace the file with the same name in the Maxim DL6 folder found in C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Diffraction Ltd \ MaxIm DL6.

When you select ASI1600MM as the camera 1 in the camera chooser dialogue there should be a properties tab, I believe there were some changes to the ASI ASCOM driver to allow you to use two ASI cameras simultaneously such as a ASI1600MM as main camera and ASI120mm as a guider where previously that wasn't possible and I think I read somewhere that in the ASCOM camera driver properties tab there is a selection to make to allow more than one ASI camera to be used simultaneously so have a look in the properties tab and check that is not selected. I'm not really sure about that though and I don't have an ASI1600 to check but it is worth looking.

If still a problem the MaxIm program or it's config folder may be corrupted so if the above steps don't work first re-install MaxIm, in this case your settings won't be lost as the config folder remains untouched. After re-installing you will need to update that plugin for SX cameras again as described above.

Open MaxIm and see if that fixed it, if not the next step will create a new config folder.

Go to the 'My Documents' folder and RENAME the folder MaxIm DL 6 to Old_MaxIm DL6 then launch MaxIm. A new config folder will be created in 'My Documents' that is empty and all settings are at default. Can you now select ASI for camera 1 and SX universal for camera 2 ?

If this fixed the problem you can either reconfigure MaxIm from scratch or if you have lots of settings you want to keep there are two possibilities:

1: Open a request for help on the Diffraction Ltd forum, zip up the entire config folder Old_Maxim DL6 and attach it to your post there, they will need to know which Windows version you are running and which MaxIm DL revision, they may find the problem setting in the config folder and be able to correct it for you.

2: You can transfer the individual config subfolders and files back over from the original (renamed) config folder Old_MaxIm DL6 to the new config folder MaxIm DL6 one subfolder at a time until the problem returns. Once you have identified the corrupted subfolder or file you delete the config folder again, MaxIm DL6 in 'My Documents, launch MaxIm to create a new config folder, close MaxIm and copy and replace all the subfolders and files from Old_MaxIm DL6 to MaxIm DL6 except for the corrupted subfolder/file. This will restore all your settings except for the problem one and then you need to run MaxIm carefully the first time checking each setting is how you want it. I have done this before with my installation and it takes forever, copying one item at a time, launching MaxIm, does it work yes/no, close MaxIm, copy another file over and repeat etc etc. after that time I always kept a backup of the config folder on a flash drive and if MaxIm becomes corrupted I just copy back the good config folder from the flash drive and have a working system again.....

HTH

William.

Thanks William--It will take me a year to learn all this.  I would not have bought the system if they told me it would be an issue.  I will look through the above and try.  One thing--you said that Maxim will not allow simultaneous guiding and imaging.  Even if you don't change filters?  Anyway, then you seem to indicate that it IS possible with the new SX driver?  Could you please clarify?  If it is not possible--I have no reason to keep using any of this gear as it is all designed around the Guiding issue.

Thanks,

Rodd

35 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

HTH

William.

William--I forgot to say--I tried using an ASI 174 to guide and it WAS recognized but guiding STILL was halted during exposure.  Also--there was no way to focus the ASI 174.  I tried everything

Rodd

Hi Rodd, may sound like a silly suggestion but I run 2 instances of Maxim running 2 QSI683s one in each with staggered downloads.

Also gave up with Maxim guiding long ago and use PHD, though the Loadstar worked OK in Maxim.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Rodd, may sound like a silly suggestion but I run 2 instances of Maxim running 2 QSI683s one in each with staggered downloads.

Also gave up with Maxim guiding long ago and use PHD, though the Loadstar worked OK in Maxim.

Dave

How did you get maxim to guide and image simultaneously?  It does with teh STT-8300 that has a built in guide chip.  But I cant get it to do it--even when teh guide camera and imaging camera are recognized.

Rodd

Don't think I did anything in particular, just selected Artemis in the drop down menu for the Atik in camera one and the SX in the second camera drop down, also used an Orion SSAG and that worked OK.

The reason I gave up on Maxim guiding was the annoying " star faded " messages when it was clearly visible on screen, Maxim folk refused to acknowledge this problem existed even though loads of people had it, I believe they've finally addressed the issue now.

I've got the latest updated Maxim but haven't got round to trying it yet on the " if it ain't broke " principle :grin:

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Don't think I did anything in particular, just selected Artemis in the drop down menu for the Atik in camera one and the SX in the second camera drop down, also used an Orion SSAG and that worked OK.

The reason I gave up on Maxim guiding was the annoying " star faded " messages when it was clearly visible on screen, Maxim folk refused to acknowledge this problem existed even though loads of people had it, I believe they've finally addressed the issue now.

I've got the latest updated Maxim but haven't got round to trying it yet on the " if it ain't broke " principle :grin:

Dave

Maybe I need teh SX driver?  Still, tehre is something about 2 cameras running off one USB hub that Maxim does not like--unless they are both ZWO cameras.  I don't get the star faded problem--unless I bin the guider.  Then I do.

Rodd

20 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I probably downloaded the driver from SX site, can't remember now, it came with a disc but don't think I used it.

Dave

Just checked--there is no SX driver anymore--its the ZWO universal driver now I think.  I already had this.

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

One thing--you said that Maxim will not allow simultaneous guiding and imaging.  Even if you don't change filters?  Anyway, then you seem to indicate that it IS possible with the new SX driver?  Could you please clarify?

Ok, there are two question here, 

In MaxIm you can select any combination of manufacturers cameras provided there are either native or ASCOM drivers available. In MaxIm there is a native driver for the Loadstar, you don't need an ASCOM driver but there is a bug in the current native driver that is installed by default with MaxIm and if you are using MaxIm DL6 version 6.14 or above you must replace the plugin in the main MaxIm folder with the new one available from the Starlight Xpress website as I described.

MaxIm does not support simultaneous guiding while the main camera is downloading, that is stated in the help files accessible by clicking on 'Help' at the top of the MaxIm main program desktop. When the main camera is downloading  guiding is paused, when the main camera download is complete then guiding is resumed after a small pause while MaxIm requires the guide star, issues a mount correction, waits for a 'settle' time and then the exposure begins again on the main camera. There is absolutely no point guiding while the main camera is downloading an image since it can't acquire new data anyway.

I'm using a QSI camera with a loadstar in my observatory that is controlled by ACP and MaxIm DL6 and that is the way my system works, guiding until main camera download, pause guiding for download, dither, require guide star, begin guiding again and then start main camera exposure.

Have these problems just appeared on a working system, have you been trying different hardware or had a Windows update take place?

9 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

Ok, there are two question here, 

In MaxIm you can select any combination of manufacturers cameras provided there are either native or ASCOM drivers available. In MaxIm there is a native driver for the Loadstar, you don't need an ASCOM driver but there is a bug in the current native driver that is installed by default with MaxIm and if you are using MaxIm DL6 version 6.14 or above you must replace the plugin in the main MaxIm folder with the new one available from the Starlight Xpress website as I described.

MaxIm does not support simultaneous guiding while the main camera is downloading, that is stated in the help files accessible by clicking on 'Help' at the top of the MaxIm main program desktop. When the main camera is downloading  guiding is paused, when the main camera download is complete then guiding is resumed after a small pause while MaxIm requires the guide star, issues a mount correction, waits for a 'settle' time and then the exposure begins again on the main camera. There is absolutely no point guiding while the main camera is downloading an image since it can't acquire new data anyway.

I'm using a QSI camera with a loadstar in my observatory that is controlled by ACP and MaxIm DL6 and that is the way my system works, guiding until main camera download, pause guiding for download, dither, require guide star, begin guiding again and then start main camera exposure.

Have these problems just appeared on a working system, have you been trying different hardware or had a Windows update take place?

There is a reason to guide while there is a download--to dither.  As soon as teh exposure is stopped it dithers.  But my guider will not guide during an exposure.  That means if I takle a 5 min exposure guiding stops for 5 min.  

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Not sure what you mean......Could you add a bit?  I don't want to do something that will delete maxim.  Do I go to Maxim and look for this file name and paste the new identical file name in?  

Just now, Rodd said:

There is a reason to guide while there is a download--to dither.

No that not right Rodd, dithering is independent of guiding, a guide camera could not produce a usable image while the mount is dithering since the stars would be streaked across the image.

The proper sequence in MaxIm is guide until the main camera downloads, pause guiding during download, dither the mount in a random direction by issuing a mount move, start the guide camera and download an image, require the guide star and begin guiding with it's new coordinates, wait for a settle time, begin the main camera exposure.

How are you dithering the mount, is this from an automation program such as ACP or CCD commander etc?

Just now, Oddsocks said:

No that not right Rodd, dithering is independent of guiding, a guide camera could not produce a usable image while the mount is dithering since the stars would be streaked across the image.

The proper sequence in MaxIm is guide until the main camera downloads, pause guiding during download, dither the mount in a random direction by issuing a mount move, start the guide camera and download an image, require the guide star and begin guiding with it's new coordinates, wait for a settle time, begin the main camera exposure.

How are you dithering the mount, is this from an automation program such as ACP or CCD commander etc?

But my guiding stops during the whole length of the exposure--not just the download.

3 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

I dither using Maxim DL--works fine....up until this configuration.  Actually the dither worked (I think--hard to tell when the guide graph is all screwed up with 5 min lags) --its the guiding that will not work.

5 minutes ago, Rodd said:

But I tried this and it said there is no file associated with this--I could not do anything with it

If you click on it and save it then look in your download folder and drag it onto the desktop.

Then click on the C: drive then follow my pics and drag the SX DLL into the Maxim folder.

Dave

5aa6a43456323_Loadstar2.PNG.6d7bf0ec9b14344b76415d28247f2463.PNG Loadstar3.PNG.f4c76290e65db87541d8645ac65ffb59.PNG

Loadstar4.PNG.2152ffe8f68268e7d3ecf2f58703b11b.PNG

Loadstar5.PNG.98a28e038072db20c2126743926e0352.PNG

Loadstar6.thumb.PNG.0c7fb34cf6f6837538e532fe76c8871b.PNG

Loadstar driver.PNG

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

If you click on it and save it then look in your download folder and drag it onto the desktop.

Then click on the C: drive then follow my pics and drag the SX DLL into the Maxim folder.

Dave

5aa6a43456323_Loadstar2.PNG.6d7bf0ec9b14344b76415d28247f2463.PNG Loadstar3.PNG.f4c76290e65db87541d8645ac65ffb59.PNG

Loadstar4.PNG.2152ffe8f68268e7d3ecf2f58703b11b.PNG

Loadstar5.PNG.98a28e038072db20c2126743926e0352.PNG

Loadstar6.thumb.PNG.0c7fb34cf6f6837538e532fe76c8871b.PNG

Loadstar driver.PNG

I could not save--when I clicked on it I got the message of no file associated or something.  Assuming I am able to save it--or copy it--do I just save it to the folfder yopu sepcified for Maxim--no special place?  Not deleting any other files?  Just add it to teh list?

Right click the file to select copy

when you open the MaxIm DL 6 folder, place the mouse pointer anywhere that is blank and then right click the mouse again and press paste

A pop up will ask if you want to replace the existing file with the new one, click yes, replace.

If you click on the link in the SX downloads does it not give you an option to save it ?

If it does it should there in your downloads folder.

Then you need to follow my instructions to drag it into the Maxim folder.

If there is already a file with the same name you can either delete it of drag it out onto the desktop.

Dave

Archived