SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 Pleiades open cluster, M062 global star satellite, Jupiter and a realisation of my equipment and my needs .

Nathan UK

Hope you guys around the globe are getting clear sky's ?

battering down in Liverpool tonight and cloudy unfortunately.....

so last night just before 9pm and then again at 5am I had a little session with my new toy I purchased for night fishing (Meade ETX 80)

i was firstly looking at the Pleiades open cluster when I seen what looked like a star go across my wide field view really fast  and I followed it across the sky in awe for around and minute to which I asked questions about on here and @stu kindly pointed out what I was viewing the M062 global star satellite.

The Pleiades cluster looked beautiful as always but my breath was taken away when that unexpected satellite made its appearance and bolted across the sky......

lol I was a little bit naughty I admit...... Alcohol was involved ???? thus the reason I was still awake at first light around 5am.

I step out the conservatory for a smoke to notice Jupiter shining brightly.

Naturally I grabbed the ETX 80 and had a peek,

I can't remember (maybe because I was a little intoxicated) but I do think all 4 Galilean moons where in view.

I don't know if this is because it was day light but I could not hardly see any colour or detail on Jupiter it was really bright.

is this due to day light or the fact the scope is only a 80mm frac?

any how I wasn't much impressed by the size of Jupiter in this little fella , 

jupiter was tiny like a pin prick even at x100. 

Im used to seeing it much bigger and with a lot of colour!

this had led me to believe that I chose the wrong travel scope/fishing scope for me and as a result I'm going to purchase a skywatcher heritage 130p due to my hunger for more detail (maybe aperture really is king and 80mm doesn't really get me going) on saying that I still really enjoyed myself and the satellite and the satellites identification was the moment of the session for me. 

@Stu also kindly sent me a image showing me the identification an I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here?

by the way stu how do I get this software or app or what ever you used to do this mate?

I look forward to reading the reports  and seeing the images you guys do

chow for now 

Nathan

image.png

4 hours ago, Nathan UK said:

jupiter was tiny like a pin prick even at x100.

At a given magnification, Jupiter will have the same image-size whatever the scope (but it will be much fainter in an 80mm scope than say an 200mm scope). As such, [and I can't think of a 'nice' way of saying this, so please don't be offended] I suspect you were not actually looking at Jupiter, but some star that was close by, with Jupiter out of view. Even with the 25mm eyepiece (16x) it will have an apparent size of about 40% the size of a full moon with the naked eye - considerably more than a 'pin prick' - and will show the bands in anything like reasonable atmospheric conditions. [I used to own an ETX80, so am familiar with its abilities.]

The app Stu uses (along with lots of others on here too, including me) is called Skysafari. Version 6 is the latest version and comes in either basic, Plus or Pro version. Available on iOS or Android. I have both V6 Pro versions on both my iPad Pro and iPhone 7+. 

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

At a given magnification, Jupiter will have the same image-size whatever the scope (but it will be much fainter in an 80mm scope than say an 200mm scope). As such, [and I can't think of a 'nice' way of saying this, so please don't be offended] I suspect you were not actually looking at Jupiter, but some star that was close by, with Jupiter out of view. Even with the 25mm eyepiece (16x) it will have an apparent size of about 40% the size of a full moon with the naked eye - considerably more than a 'pin prick' - and will show the bands in anything like reasonable atmospheric conditions. [I used to own an ETX80, so am familiar with its abilities.]

Haha no mate it was most definitely Jupiter I could just about make out its bands in this scope (but it was daylight Jupiter was rising in the morning maybe the day light was the issue) and could see its moons (I have photographed Jupiter numerous occasions in my other scope) and I'm not offended my friend . Maybe I was exaggerating a little because I wasn't overly impressed and maybe the word I was looking for or how I should of described it was it was too dim due to aperture so lacked details but it was also shining bright due to it being daylight and as a result that may of also affected detail with light pollution. either way mate I believe I will enjoy the likes of the heritage 130p more as my travel scope. I will still use the ETX 80 I've enjoyed playing with it and the wider field views are nice but it's not quite what I was looking for.

@Knighty2112 nice one mate I will check that out and wait for the price reduction if it's at full bat ATM ?.

@cloudsweeper ano mate.... Don't get me wrong Doug I'm not completely slating the ETX 80 it certainly has its uses and I've enjoyed playing with its goto but for portability I do have my 12x70 bins . I believe my personal requirements for my night fishing scope requires just a little bit more aperture . 

Thinking more about my equipment needs..... I'm going to need a light shroud for the skywatcher heritage 130p aren't I ?

I have looked online and can't find any suppliers so I guess I will have to make one, 

ive seen people use them foam camp mats to Lycra to cardboard what would you guys recommend as the most suitable material?

Just now, cloudsweeper said:

A solid tube won't need a shroud as such, Nathan, but the secondary cell might need a dew shield 

I deffinataly want to make one for the truss part of the scope mate for a few reasons really ,

protection as the most important but I believe it also helps with contrast ? I've never owned a truss tube before just a little of what I've read mate. So camp mat all the way mate ye?

nathan

1 minute ago, Nathan UK said:

I deffinataly want to make one for the truss part of the scope mate for a few reasons really ,

protection as the most important but I believe it also helps with contrast ? I've never owned a truss tube before just a little of what I've read mate. So camp mat all the way mate ye?

nathan

Certainly for a truss type 'scope a shroud is a good idea - protection, anti-dewing, contrast.

Doug.

(Just added a pic of my dewshield - see earlier post.)

20 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

OK. You’ve outgunned me there Doug! Hehe! ;) 

.....and while I'm waiting for it (12" S/W) Gus, I've just gone and ordered the collimation tools.  (Well, it's a step towards the goal, eh?  Or a really, really bad case of aperture fever.) :happy11:

Doug.  

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

.....and while I'm waiting for it (12" S/W) Gus, I've just gone and ordered the collimation tools.  (Well, it's a step towards the goal, eh?  Or a really, really bad case of aperture fever.) :happy11:

Doug.  

As with all us here Doug it is aperture fever all the way! ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived