Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Rattler

My first ever DSO image :) M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

Really chuffed with my first ever DSO image. Next time I'll be guiding for longer exposures and much more detail and include dark and flat frames to reduce noise. Thanks to Stephen Olson for all his help.

Messier 51 (M51) Whirlpool Galaxy and it's companion NGC 5195.
10/03/18, Heald Green, Nr. Manchester (Bortle 8)
Location- Canes Venatici
Distance- 31 million light years
Diameter- 60,000 light years
Magnitude- 8.4

Scope- Explore Scientific ED80 (ES Field flattener)
Mount- SW NEQ6 Pro Synscan
Camera- Canon 600d (unmodified)
Unguided

5x 30 sec
27x 25 sec
ISO 800
Stacked in DSS and processed in PS.

test copy1.jpg

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

Fabulous... A great start... nice colour in the Whirlpool. :thumbsup:

Thanks :) I would have been guiding but I left the nose piece for my guide camera at home lol.

• Like 1

Really nice! You managed to get the connecting arm as well, impressive considering the exposure time and light pollution (Manchester Airport pumps out tonnes of LP).

• Like 1

That is a very good start considering that you have less than 15 minutes of data in the image. As you rightly say, more data and longer subs (with guiding) will work wonders.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Really nice! You managed to get the connecting arm as well, impressive considering the exposure time and light pollution (Manchester Airport pumps out tonnes of LP).

Thanks. Yeah, you can see the LP a lot over the West.

I managed to get polar alignment spot on with a Pole Master and focus was very good too.

• Like 1

It's a very exciting object. I can appreciate your excitement, its not long ago that I first saw this as a recognizable object on the view screen of my camera!  

• Like 1

Nice image!  I've been toying with the idea of getting a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED to use with my Nikon D5300 but I keep talking myself out of it because I'd only really be able to image from my light polluted garden (Bortle 7).  Your picture gives me hope that I might be able to capture something after all!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philter said:

Nice image!  I've been toying with the idea of getting a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED to use with my Nikon D5300 but I keep talking myself out of it because I'd only really be able to image from my light polluted garden (Bortle 7).  Your picture gives me hope that I might be able to capture something after all!  

I have an 80 Ed with a Nikon D5300 .  I use a UHC  filter because I am on the edge of a red zone, but still get some reasonable images (hopefully improving with experience rather than buying more kit, although I am toying with the idea of a modded Canon). So, my 5 pennorth is, go for it!,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Philter said:

Go for it. I've just ordered a SkyTech CLS filter to help with light pollution.

• Like 1

Wow....15 min of data in really short subs--the power of CMOS.  Frame it.  There is only 1 first, and this is a beaut.

Rodd

• Like 2

For a first image, that's top notch! There is so much that needs to be right, and you have ticked all the boxes.:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 15/03/2018 at 23:37, Rattler said:

Cheers guys :)

@angryowl you seen this yet bud?

Absolutely beautiful result considering it's under 15 min integration time and the LP you have down there. Brilliant image indeed! You'll be looking back at this as you gain more experience and produce even better looking shots!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 18:56, stevewanstall said:

I have an 80 Ed with a Nikon D5300 .  I use a UHC  filter because I am on the edge of a red zone, but still get some reasonable images (hopefully improving with experience rather than buying more kit, although I am toying with the idea of a modded Canon). So, my 5 pennorth is, go for it!,

On 3/12/2018 at 22:49, Rattler said:

Go for it. I've just ordered a SkyTech CLS filter to help with light pollution.

I took the plunge and got the SW Evostar 80ED DS-Pro with the flattener/reducer.  I probably won't get to use it much this side of the the bright nights but at least I've got it to practice setting it up and guiding, etc.

• Like 1