SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M106 & friends

Barry-Wilson

Imaged over the last few weeks and pleased to see the faintest of hints of Ha spiralling out of the core of M106. The image is a slight crop.

I have time yet to capture further data but frustrated with UK weather as I'm sure are many of us . . . what's new :-).

Thanks for looking & CS!

Details:

• WO 132FLT with reducer at F5.6
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8; Astrodon filters
  • Lum 30 x 600s; 48 x 300s RGB; 9 x 600s Ha; 10.5 hrs total integration
  • SGP for capture, PI processing
  • Home observatory, Totnes, Devon

LHaRGB_Blend_Enh_Alt_crop.thumb.jpg.2aa55594330116003bae79a60ad78d0b.jpg

Lovely warm colours in the core. You do have that wonderful Ha jet appearing perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy so if you've got that far in 90 minutes you'll certainly nail it when the skies clear. I first saw it in an image by MartinB and it's a real gem to tease out.

Olly

Good work Barry, with managing to collect the data and the delicate processing. The weather in this country is testing at the moment. Hopefully it is about to gift us a beautifully dark and clear New Moon period. Oh well, I can dream...

Interesting that you go for 300s RGB subs. I've opted for 600s RGB subs so far. Does the 300s sub give more colour or less?!!? Your image is certainly a lovely warm rendition.

14 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Good work Barry, with managing to collect the data and the delicate processing. The weather in this country is testing at the moment. Hopefully it is about to gift us a beautifully dark and clear New Moon period. Oh well, I can dream...

Interesting that you go for 300s RGB subs. I've opted for 600s RGB subs so far. Does the 300s sub give more colour or less?!!? Your image is certainly a lovely warm rendition.

Thanks Gav.

I guessed that imaging opportunities over winter would be rare so I opted for 300s so that I would have more subs to integrate to help with noise.  Otherwise I would have stuck with 600s for better SNR per sub; I just felt getting 16 or 17 x 600s RGB subs was not likely.  There are quite a few weeks of M106 imaging time left yet so I may be able to gather more.

16 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely warm colours in the core. You do have that wonderful Ha jet appearing perpendicular to the plane of the galaxy so if you've got that far in 90 minutes you'll certainly nail it when the skies clear. I first saw it in an image by MartinB and it's a real gem to tease out.

Olly

Much appreciated Olly.  I would dearly love to get the Ha jets in the core - I may switch to my TMB flattener and grab more subs at F7.  Then there is future chance of a small sony ccd . . . which would get me to about 0.8"/px . . . even better!

Thank you Alan, Kirkster, Chris, Paul, Andy and Geof.

2 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

I guessed that imaging opportunities over winter would be rare so I opted for 300s so that I would have more subs to integrate to help with noise.  Otherwise I would have stuck with 600s for better SNR per sub; I just felt getting 16 or 17 x 600s RGB subs was not likely.  There are quite a few weeks of M106 imaging time left yet so I may be able to gather more.

Ah, interesting, so a choice through reason rather than desire! I was questioning my ‘long’ RGB subs and perhaps the colour being washed out by them, but it is good to see that I’m not totally off track. Your 300s subs have certainly caught plenty of colour though and satisfy the ‘more subs are better for stacking’ rule. I bet you don’t have those problems to consider in Spain!

I told you on Astrobin that this is a stunning image. I now realize it may have been the wrong expression. It is something with it, could have to do with the colours, that makes me feel harmonic and calm. Maybe it could be used in stress relief therapy.

1 hour ago, gorann said:

I told you on Astrobin that this is a stunning image. I now realize it may have been the wrong expression. It is something with it, could have to do with the colours, that makes me feel harmonic and calm. Maybe it could be used in stress relief therapy.

I know what you mean. It also has that look of old style film AP which I always like.

Olly

6 hours ago, gorann said:

Thank you Goran.  Interestingly, yesterday when I was contemplating the image again, I ran some very gentle NR targeting the chrominance as I thought the background sky had a very small amount of coloured speckle.  After running the NR I felt the image was a little duller, so I reverted to the original.  Not sure if this has anything to do with it at all, just thoought I'd record the observation.

5 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

This kind of image is why they used to call galaxies Islands of the Universe. It expresses that, somehow.

Yes, I felt that with this image too.  I aim for this in my processing and of course you don't always realise the feeling, it can be quite elusive and is not subject to a strict workflow :icon_biggrin:.  Maybe that's part of its charm when you do achieve it!

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I know what you mean. It also has that look of old style film AP which I always like.

Olly

I can still recall as a 17 year sixth form pupil sitting in my back garden in St Helens with an expensive roll of sensitive B&W film loaded in my dad's pentax SLR, with a bodged connection into the diagonal of a 3" Tasco achro refractor I had had for Christmas :iamwithstupid:.  I struggled and struggled and struggled . . . .  I'm now 52 BTW and still mostly bewildered about life :hello:.

4 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

There is a lot to like in this image and so much going on in the 'background' too. I love the composition, Barry.

Thanks Steve.  I had imaged M106 several years ago with an Atik 460 and the FOV excluded the edge on NGC4217 and the smattering of fuzzies liberally visible across this wider FOV.  Whilst M106 is attractive at a higher resolution, the wider FOV and fuzzies does bring the 'floating in space' feeling.

On 3/10/2018 at 17:38, ollypenrice said:

Olly

I looked at this for ages, couldn't see anything (ignorance being the cause, not the image!). Then compared it with other images (via Google).  Finally, I saw the jet !   So now I can appreciate your image even more  Thank you.

22 hours ago, coatesg said:

Very delicate as ever Barry. Framing is super - and I love this field with NGC 4217, it's a gorgeous edge on galaxy with dust lane - very much a mini-891!

Thanks Graeme.

Cheers stevewanstall and Dr Tooth!

Archived