Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why no Sky at Night TV program this month?

reddoss

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wish I could help with an answer reddoss but the 'no show' of Stargazing Live this year was a low point for me and now they miss an edition of 'The Sky at Night' which the BBC website introduce as, "Your monthly journey through the fascinating world of space and astronomy. Our team of astronomers explain the latest thinking on what's out there in space and what you can see in the night sky."  I guess now they don't have to contend with the power that was SPM who only missed one monthly broadcast from the first one broadcast in 1957. If the programme is running out of ideas to try may I suggest they champion the problem of Light Pollution and devote a number of shows to educating the public and stimulating a debate. 

I'm now off my soap box :-)

Cheers,
Steve

For me, a grumpy old-timer, the Sky at Night died with Patrick, who had a wonderful, natural and contagious enthusiasm that fired tens of thousands. He was always an amateur for amateurs, where as the soulless professionals with their false eccentricity and lacklustre personality, along with a bbc that couldn't care less, have destroyed the programme. The only presenter worth his salt is Pete Lawrence, the rest are dead weight. The sooner they end it the better! Youre better off watching old reruns!! :hmh:

14 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

For me, a grumpy old-timer, the Sky at Night died with Patrick, who had a wonderful, natural and contagious enthusiasm that fired tens of thousands. He was always an amateur for amateurs, where as the soulless professionals with their false eccentricity and lacklustre personality, along with a bbc that couldn't care less, have destroyed the programme. The only presenter worth his salt is Pete Lawrence, the rest are dead weight. The sooner they end it the better! Youre better off watching old reruns!!

Don't hold back with your feelings Mike.

Have you ever considered working for the diplomatic department ?

5 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

For me, a grumpy old-timer, the Sky at Night died with Patrick, who had a wonderful, natural and contagious enthusiasm that fired tens of thousands. He was always an amateur for amateurs, where as the soulless professionals with their false eccentricity and lacklustre personality, along with a bbc that couldn't care less, have destroyed the programme. The only presenter worth his salt is Pete Lawrence, the rest are dead weight. The sooner they end it the better! Youre better off watching old reruns!! :hmh:

Well I agree that Patrick Moore was irreplaceable but I think the present team are more than up for the job and continue to make The Sky At Night a highlight on the BBC schedule for me at least.

I find Maggie fantastically enthusiastic and she has grown into the presenter role and we could not ask for a better role model for the younger generation; her professional background  is certainly impressive. I do hope the missing episode is not s signal of things to come.

Jim 

I've felt of late that the Sky At Night was losing it's amateur appeal. It's very interesting finding out about latest advances in astronomy, but those are covered in other one off astronomy programmes. Perhaps more of a down to earth approach for amateurs, especially new ones. Projects to complete, things to look for in the night sky, up and coming events, practical things which ordinary people can do to help them in their observations.

Eric.

Sky at Night without SPM is like Queen without Freddie Mercury.  Despite the others being superb musicians the band is dead.  Ditto S@N.

That's not to say that Maggie, Pete and Chris can't do other things on TV.  But S@N is suffering a death by a thousand cuts.  

My opinion and of course others think differently.

19 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

the Sky at Night died with Patrick

19 hours ago, saac said:

Patrick Moore was irreplaceable

15 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Sky at Night without SPM is like Queen without Freddie Mercury

I understand and to a certain extent, agree. But Sir Patrick himself would not and did not accept this. I believe he would not have us forget. :)

I do feel the program is a little too science focused these days for my personal taste. Recently I have been looking at old episodes of S@N on youtube and there used to be more focus on the amateur side which was interesting (to me at least). It certainly is not celebrating the amazing things that amateur's are doing today at home with the equipment you can buy today from a store for "reasonable" cost, I mean we even have amateurs detecting exoplanets! This is what made it stand out from other one off science programs in the past.

Times change, but I wish they would give Pete more screen-time. And what happened to Paul Abel, he used to appear quite a bit, and Lucie Green is listed as a presenter on the website but I can only recall one episode in the last few years which has featured her?

Having said that it is still a good watch, just hope it continues for a long time to come.

S&N is pretty much the only program I watch consistently. While I would prefer it to be more amateur centered, it is the only regular program we have so it makes sense for us to support it and not give the BBC more reason to scrap it.

Hopefully constructive criticism here and other places may filter through and help it's appeal to a wider audience and enable it to flourish into the future.

Hi guys

Not wanting to appear flippant but is ‘Sky at night’ worth watching these days?. Watched one shortly after Patrick passed away ,wasn’t impressed and that was the last time I watched it.

cheers

Steve

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

The Beeb have loads of great science shows. Try watching BBC Four from 9pm most nights of the weeks. Great educational stuff.

Just glanced at the BBC 4 Schedule up til 23rd March and there is loads of crime, history and music programs but didn't see much else. I know they usually show science/astronomy programs on S@N Sundays but most offerings (although good) are repeats. I'm ashamed to admit that most S@N episodes cause me to drift off to sleep but it's still the only regular astronomy offering I'm aware of on TV. Shame as it could be so much better.

I'd love to see equipment reviews, how to guides, visits to amateur astronomers home observatories, a sky guide for the month ahead and a news round up of discoveries, missions and events. I think it also needs to be an hour long as well, surely the cosmos deserves at least an hour a month :icon_biggrin:

33 minutes ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Just glanced at the BBC 4 Schedule up til 23rd March and there is loads of crime, history and music programs but didn't see much else. I know they usually show science/astronomy programs on S@N Sundays but most offerings (although good) are repeats. I'm ashamed to admit that most S@N episodes cause me to drift off to sleep but it's still the only regular astronomy offering I'm aware of on TV. Shame as it could be so much better.

I'd love to see equipment reviews, how to guides, visits to amateur astronomers home observatories, a sky guide for the month ahead and a news round up of discoveries, missions and events. I think it also needs to be an hour long as well, surely the cosmos deserves at least an hour a month :icon_biggrin:

I admit BBC Four dont usually do Astronomy. They do Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, natural history etc.

Astronomy aint the be all and end all of science. The other night on BBC four, i watched a brilliant show about bubbles. 

I find astronomy shows boring. I learn nothing new from them. Its the same thing over and over.

I watch shows on BBC Four about all fields of science (even thought much of it is beyond me).

Why?

It expands the mind and any day where you learn something new.................is a good day.

I watch Nat Geo for the same reason.........to learn about the wider animal kingdom.

If you saw the bubbles program you would have seen Dr Eleanor Stride, our ex Head Girl from many years ago. She came to give a talk as part of our Science Week last year, and we're hoping to get her back for Prize Giving. Ha ha, the first time I saw the program I was bouncing up and down on my sofa pointing to the screen saying "That's our Eleanor!" :D. she hasn't changed much either.

Archived