Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I think I discovered a NEW SUPERNOVA!!!! Where to Report?

MarsG76

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be worth asking around to see if anyone else was observing the target at around the same time.  It's a common target so there is a chance.  You never know.  If you can see it in two different setups then you'd confirm it was real. 

It doesn't look like a cosmic ray as they tend not to look exactly like stars.  I would have expected optic ghosting to be observed in all frames.  If the mount 'bounced' then you should see the effect on other bright stars if you stretch the image.  Shock breakout is OK but looking at the article you need a Type II supernova.  That requires a massive star.  If we assume that the carina nebula is 'relatively' opaque then it is unlikely we would be seeing a star in another galaxy. Therefore the massive star would be in the Carina Nebula and we should see it.  That scenario probably can hence likely be ruled out. 

Perhaps my best proposed solution is maybe a White Dwarf and a cool companion.  It's effectively a CV with the White Dwarf stripping material from the cool companion which then erupts briefly.  It would also be difficult to see (especially if the WD is cool).

21 minutes ago, Whirlwind said:

It might be worth asking around to see if anyone else was observing the target at around the same time.  It's a common target so there is a chance.  You never know.  If you can see it in two different setups then you'd confirm it was real.

This strikes me as an excellent idea (perhaps because I was just about to suggest it myself :) Fascinating thread regardless of the outcome.

James

7 hours ago, Shibby said:

I'd be interested in the results - I remember finding a similar transient "star" that came and went between subs a few years ago and have always wondered what it was.

That might be it also, unfortunately for us, a transient star in unconfirmable...

6 hours ago, Whirlwind said:

A SGL user, hjw, in Melbourne image the area the next evening and the object was gone.

I also posted on "Ice in Space" forum and posted the coords, to date no one reported any thing, and lastly, I imaged the area in RGB, OIII and another SII exposure from 9pm till 6am and none of my subs showed the object... I dare say that the object is gone, or maybe temporarily asleep...

6 hours ago, Whirlwind said:

It doesn't look like a cosmic ray as they tend not to look exactly like stars.  I would have expected optic ghosting to be observed in all frames.  If the mount 'bounced' then you should see the effect on other bright stars if you stretch the image.  Shock breakout is OK but looking at the article you need a Type II supernova.  That requires a massive star.  If we assume that the carina nebula is 'relatively' opaque then it is unlikely we would be seeing a star in another galaxy. Therefore the massive star would be in the Carina Nebula and we should see it.  That scenario probably can hence likely be ruled out. 

Perhaps my best proposed solution is maybe a White Dwarf and a cool companion.  It's effectively a CV with the White Dwarf stripping material from the cool companion which then erupts briefly.  It would also be difficult to see (especially if the WD is cool).

I completely agree with you statement about ghosting, telescope bounce and cosmic ray...

Dwarf stripping material is very interesting... like I stated above, HJW in Melbourne image the area the next night and I image that night between clouds and the night after 9pm-6am in RGB, OIII and SII and the object is gone...

Perhaps it'll flare up again in the future... this time being caught by many others and also the pros.

I just found this thread and it was very exciting reading! Please keep us updated about Jeff's analysis of your subs and his suggestion of what it could have been - and could still be....

4 hours ago, gorann said:

I just found this thread and it was very exciting reading! Please keep us updated about Jeff's analysis of your subs and his suggestion of what it could have been - and could still be....

As soon as I have something new, I'll update here...

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure it is the same thing?

Observations reported to the AAVSO:
2018 March 15.34 UT, <17.0 V (ASAS-SN; ATel #11454);
20.32, >10 V (brighter than 10 V (saturated); ASAS-SN, discovery; ATel #11454);
21.44380, 6.5 (R. Stubbings, Tetoora Road, VIC, Australia);

If I am reading these stats correctly, this object was fainter than 17th mag on 15th March and had brightened to brighter than 10th mag on 20th March. And it certainly seems to have hung around longer than yours did. Maybe your object was some kind of preliminary rumbling [do objects like this have those?]? Was this one of the organisations to whom you reported your findings? Might be worth having a quiet word    [aavso@aavso.org], as you clearly have copies of communications earlier in the month about your object.

35 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Are you sure it is the same thing?

Observations reported to the AAVSO:
2018 March 15.34 UT, <17.0 V (ASAS-SN; ATel #11454);
20.32, >10 V (brighter than 10 V (saturated); ASAS-SN, discovery; ATel #11454);
21.44380, 6.5 (R. Stubbings, Tetoora Road, VIC, Australia);

If I am reading these stats correctly, this object was fainter than 17th mag on 15th March and had brightened to brighter than 10th mag on 20th March. And it certainly seems to have hung around longer than yours did. Maybe your object was some kind of preliminary rumbling [do objects like this have those?]? Was this one of the organisations to whom you reported your findings? Might be worth having a quiet word    [aavso@aavso.org], as you clearly have copies of communications earlier in the month about your object.

Not sure.. of course I will image the same area tonight to see if anything flared up in the area I reported on 10th March... The coordinates on this report are close to my one but, still far enough away to be a different object, and certainly out of the FOV of my 40D at 2032mm FL.

Before I continue on the nebula I'm imaging now.. a not commonly imaged nebula below the Carina, I'll move the scope onto eta Carine for 30 or so minutes to have a look for any changes.

If they were not one of the organisations you contacted, I would still be inclined to get in touch if this object is very near to the coordinates you had. The likelihood of two completely unrelated events happening in such close (line of sight) proximity in such a short space of time I would say is unlikely [OK, if the universe is big enough everything is going to happen at some point].

The evidence you have suggests that your event came and went within the space of about 30 minutes. Maybe all such 'novae' have a precursor event, but they have not been seen before because they last such a short time and no one has ever been looking in precisely the right place at precisely the right time. Your observation still has the potential to increase our scientific knowledge of the universe ... and may prove to be even more important than merely discovering another 'run-of-the-mill' supernova.

On 26/03/2018 at 18:07, Demonperformer said:

If they were not one of the organisations you contacted, I would still be inclined to get in touch if this object is very near to the coordinates you had. The likelihood of two completely unrelated events happening in such close (line of sight) proximity in such a short space of time I would say is unlikely [OK, if the universe is big enough everything is going to happen at some point].

The evidence you have suggests that your event came and went within the space of about 30 minutes. Maybe all such 'novae' have a precursor event, but they have not been seen before because they last such a short time and no one has ever been looking in precisely the right place at precisely the right time. Your observation still has the potential to increase our scientific knowledge of the universe ... and may prove to be even more important than merely discovering another 'run-of-the-mill' supernova.

It was one of the organizations that I contacted but as pointed out by Stub Mendrel, it was close to the location of my image but a different part of the Nebula. 

On 26/03/2018 at 19:57, Stub Mandrel said:

Sorry to party poop, but to my eye that location is the other side of the nebula? - I may be wrong...

Can you upload a astrometry.net platesolve of your image (or one without any annotation)

You are right... close but no cigar...

On 26/03/2018 at 21:56, hjw said:

There is a picture on the APOD website: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180325.html .

It's raining here right now, so no chance to have a go at it :(

Well it might last another few days.

Clear skies

HJ

I imaged the Nebula again on 27th to see any changes, this time through a focal reducer and the nova was just out of the FOV...

Archived