Narrowband

I think I discovered a NEW SUPERNOVA!!!! Where to Report?

MarsG76

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Yeah, it's not on my first sub that just popped up either.... :-/

Oh well, at least I had a bit of excitement today.....

I was excited too. It would have been my first supernova (not discovering, but imaging). Well next time... :(

15 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Variable star?

I'll be imaging all night again, if clouds will be staying away, and I'll see if I get another sub with the star... if it comes and goes, perhaps it is a variable star.

9 minutes ago, hjw said:

I was excited too. It would have been my first supernova (not discovering, but imaging). Well next time... :(

One day, surely, we will all experience a supernova, if we keep imaging... and it will come by accident, just like this one would have been... 

I was excited for you reading through this thread.

Be good to know what it was. Let us know if your next images show anything, or even if they don't, and yes one day there should be a good one for us if we're lucky.

I got some more subs, and the "new star" is definitely gone. Now I'm convinced that it's not noise, too big and round for being noise, and it's not a moving object... It would be streaked.. Perhaps a gamma ray burst, lasting only few seconds, within that half hour??? Who knows...

To follow up, I got a response from Swinburne University regarding the outburst... After requesting the image scale and coordinates, I got this response:

"Hi Mariusz,

Just to keep you posted, I've requested imaging with GROND (an optical and infrared imager on the 2.2m telescope at ESO in Chile) and it's on the schedule for tonight (there).  I've also requested optical imaging with Zadko (1m telescope in WA) given the time of day and its location.

Finally, I've sent it for consideration for spectroscopy with the ESO VLT 8m telescope.  I'll let you know how that goes.

I've estimated the location of the source to be 10 45 08  -59 41 17  +/- a few arcsec.

All the best,
- Jeff

Associate Prof. Jeff Cooke
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology"

3 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

To follow up, I got a response from Swinburne University regarding the outburst... After requesting the image scale and coordinates, I got this response:

"Hi Mariusz,

Just to keep you posted, I've requested imaging with GROND (an optical and infrared imager on the 2.2m telescope at ESO in Chile) and it's on the schedule for tonight (there).  I've also requested optical imaging with Zadko (1m telescope in WA) given the time of day and its location.

Finally, I've sent it for consideration for spectroscopy with the ESO VLT 8m telescope.  I'll let you know how that goes.

I've estimated the location of the source to be 10 45 08  -59 41 17  +/- a few arcsec.

All the best,
- Jeff

That's an excellent response, it will be very interesting to see what they report back. It's weird that it's no longer visible, as under zoom it certainly looks like a star, showing a bright center with an offset exactly the same as all the other stars in the image - would a gamma ray strike appear like that...?

16 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

would a gamma ray strike appear like that...?

I'm very curious too... Surely there has to be something there that will be picked up with monster scopes like requested by Jeff.

and I think that a GRB might actually look like that, considering atmospheric and optical distortions introduced into the beam?? I'm guessing of course.

58 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

"Hi Mariusz,

All the best,
- Jeff

Excellent that they are taking the time to investigate it and not just fob it off as nothing :D

13 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Sorry for the false alarm everyone.... it felt so close....

There are all sorts of superluminous events that only last seconds to minutes, Gamma Ray Bursts for example, so unless you've had a definite "no" from the IAU, there is hope yet....

Michael

17 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Sorry for the false alarm everyone.... it felt so close....

No! Not a problem ! Please dont do sorry ! fascinating, great post, image & investigation;  I dont know if I should press the 'thanks' or the 'like' buttons :)

there are many other possibilities yet and great to see you have got good engagement .

Hi all, I got another response from Jeff...

"Hi Mariusz, 

I was informed that PROMPT took imaging of the source and didn't see anything there.  GROND will let me know its results sometime soon.

Without your data files in hand, it's hard to be sure, but it does not appear to be a cosmic ray.  With a long exposure, you would get many CRs and they would be smaller than the seeing FWHM.  Was the image that you senta stack of multiple images or a single image?

Because the source is not seen now, it might be an internal reflection or ghost of Eta Carinae, some unknown fast transient, or some artifact.

Let me know if you get a chance to image it again and if it appears.  Be sure to take multiple exposures and to image with different camera orientations (to minimise reflections in the same spot).  It would be great if it was a shock breakout and the event rebrightens.

All the best,

- Jeff"

Looking at the article on this link https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0221131839.htm... it talks about the "Shock breakout" that is a fleeting moment, so if there is a SN very near to Eta Carina in the near future, than this was definitely a Shock breakut... time will tell, and so the excitememnt continues...

8 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Absolutely, it may turn out to be even better than finding a supernova....!!

Moments like this is what takes away the pseudo-depression that cloudy nights or clear moonless nights when one has to work cause ... 

I have receivers another response from Jeff from Swinburne... it's as follows:

"So far, no word on the results from any telescope except PROMPT.  I look forward to hearing the results of your observations.  Yes, repeating the SII filter would be best.   

If it was a shock breakout, it is expected that the supernova would become visible by now, unless the extinction in that line of sight is enormous (which it is for Eta Carina) and the supernova is distant.

If you don't mind sending the image files, I could look at them.  However, it would be good to have any calibration files, too (i.e., flat field)."

So, even though fleeting, there is still a slim hope for an event...

Archived