SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I think I discovered a NEW SUPERNOVA!!!! Where to Report?

MarsG76

On 27th March, in between a meridian flip who le imaging a Nebula close to the Carina, I imaged the Carina nebula again through a focal reducer (f6.3) to see if anything flared up in my location, but there is no sign of anything there any more...

Attached is a crop of the nights exposure of where the flare/nova would have been if it re-appeared... 

I'm thinking that whatever it was will remain a mystery, perhaps one day, when I'm 87, something will flare up in exactly that spot and my SGL holographic recording will begins with "Hello all, did you see on the news about that nova? Well back in 2018..."  I imagine it'll be holographic recordings instead of posts by then... :-D

IMG_2309.JPG

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happened on your post while searching around and when i saw your two images and the new star where one wasn't, i got so excited and read on with the anticipation of a kid waiting for Santa!

Imagine if you had that one, would have been named after you, aww geez i can only dream of what would be like if i ever had that luck!

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I happened on your post while searching around and when i saw your two images and the new star where one wasn't, i got so excited and read on with the anticipation of a kid waiting for Santa!

Imagine if you had that one, would have been named after you, aww geez i can only dream of what would be like if i ever had that luck!

I definitely was a bit of excitement... still a mystery tho... 

1 hour ago, celestron8g8 said:

Well i do hope its a new one . But APOD  had a new nova for 2018 announced in Carine just a few days ago . 

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180325.html

That's a different one... few arc minutes off my location...

if my pic has anything to do with it, or would be nothing more than it's reflection, but that's a stretch, that was one was well out of my FOV.

19 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I definitely was a bit of excitement... still a mystery tho... 

It's nice to think that the universe can still throw a few surprises at us. As if it's saying, "you think you can understand everything about me, well make sense of this!" [OK, I do know that the universe is not sentient, but you get my gist.]

• 1 month later...

I was reading in Astronomy Now about Kepler disovering a new kind of supernova called a FELT, a fast evolving luminous transient. Apparently these transients last several days, but it made me wonder whether any more had been heard about your finding?

Interesting thread!

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Carina SN Update from 9th March 2018 UTC: After I finished gathering subs of NGC3603, I started to pre-process the subs for stacking. One of the OIII subs had 3 extra points of light on it, a very similar effect to the point of light on the SII sub captured on the morning of 10th March local time.

My current conclusion is that it was not a Super Nova or a Shock Breakout but, either and most likely, it was only a cosmic ray or, also possible, just a camera thermal effect due to the long exposures on a uncooled sensor.

I'm leaning more toward cosmic rays since the points in all cases are very bloated with hints of mount periodic error and thermal noise would be more concentrated, even single or white, pixels.

IMG_3495.JPG

Archived