SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I think I discovered a NEW SUPERNOVA!!!! Where to Report?

MarsG76

Hello Astronomers,

Does anyone know where to report a potentially supernova discovery?

Last night I was imaging the Carina Nebula at 2032mm, my ongoing SHO image project, and on the very last 1800s sub through the SII filter of the night, I noticed that there is a extra star near Eta Carina that was not on any of the the previous 30min subs, as marked on the subs attached.

I have the RAW images for astronomical observatories for verification...

Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

MG

Supernova 9Mar2018 1726UTC.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck and I hope that you are right, but first please let us know how you spotted it as I'm sure that I wouldn't have noticed one extra tiny star in that field? Pity that it was your final frame of the session as it would be good to see if it remained / got brighter in subsequent frames. I'm looking forward to hearing how this develops. Cheers, Geof

How exciting. I imaged Carina two days ago and we have another clear night in Melbourne. I have just started imaging again! By the way, how do you notice something like this?!

Good luck - hope you are right.

HJ

6 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Good luck and I hope that you are right, but first please let us know how you spotted it as I'm sure that I wouldn't have noticed one extra tiny star in that field? Pity that it was your final frame of the session as it would be good to see if it remained / got brighter in subsequent frames. I'm looking forward to hearing how this develops. Cheers, Geof

Basically I was flicking from sub to sub to see how much movement there was between subs, and it just popped out at me... its quite obvious on the 10 megapixel image on my 30" monitor... 

7 minutes ago, hjw said:

How exciting. I imaged Carina two days ago and we have another clear night in Melbourne. I have just started imaging again! By the way, how do you notice something like this?!

Good luck - hope you are right.

HJ

See if you have the extra star on your subs...

I noticed it, as stated above, on my 30" monitor flicking from sub to sub.

2 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

This looks exciting. It is definitely brighter than the two faint stars to the left of it, both of which appear in the previous image, so it looks hopeful to me.

Keep us informed.

Of course I'll update here with any news.... good or bad if I get a reply from any astronomy organization... surely one of the astro sites I emailed has to reply....

2 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Basically I was flicking from sub to sub to see how much movement there was between subs, and it just popped out at me... its quite obvious on the 10 megapixel image on my 30" monitor... 

Great catch, let us know if/when confirmed, or other explanation.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, sorry!

Supernova.jpg.8a950e6ecf28f714c14852c0e2bfa63d.jpg

This is a sub from about 10min ago. I tried to have it on the same scale and roughly the same orientation and the new star is not there.

Sorry mate!

10 minutes ago, hjw said:

This is a sub from about 10min ago. I tried to have it on the same scale and roughly the same orientation and the new star is not there.

Sorry mate!

Interesting.. I wonder what it was? I'm imaging now.. but it's too big to be noise or a cosmic ray.... and it is only on one sub...

12 minutes ago, hjw said:

Sorry mate!

Yeah, it's not on my first sub that just popped up either.... :-/

Oh well, at least I had a bit of excitement today.....

Archived