Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A new scope, required accessories

An update or news, i bought another new scope, a NEWTONIAN!!!

Now my question is, which collimator to buy? are all collimator a laser device? i saw some cheap or average reasonable prices and some expensive [still affordable], what will be the difference here?

I know which coma corrector i will buy, so i will skip this question.

One thing i have to think about is, if i should change the focuser that came with the scope, many prefer to go with FT or Moonlite ones, but is that obligatory or just optional or highly recommended? I am thinking to add an autofocuser or a motor later one by one, so i have to prepare my list as soon as possible.

Get a Cheshire/sight tube much more reliable unless you get a expensive laser one. Most of the time the cheaper laser collimators need collimating. I have a 200p and used the Lacerta 1:10  upgrade to make it a dual speed micro focuser great bit of kit.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cr-dual-rate-tri-knob-crayford-focuser-for-newtonians.html and the red is beautiful, great upgrade, makes such a difference when collimating, it

centres the Cheshire or laser perfectly, focusing is very precise, I love mine.

If you do get one, you will have to get the installation kit too.

I've spent wasted money on a cheap Seben laser collimator...which needed collimating. I then wasted so much time trying to get it perfect. I can't understand why anyone would get one. The Howie Glutter is probably a damn fine instrument, but I can think of better things to spend my money on. I've splashed out on the very fancy red anodised Cheshire from FLO and and a nice collimation cap. Very happy with the results, though it does take a bit more effort than a laser.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/premium-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

6 hours ago, ronl said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cr-dual-rate-tri-knob-crayford-focuser-for-newtonians.html and the red is beautiful, great upgrade, makes such a difference when collimating, it

centres the Cheshire or laser perfectly, focusing is very precise, I love mine.

If you do get one, you will have to get the installation kit too.

WOW, sounds interesting and very nice!

I will buy the blue but it is unavailable at all, what a shame, my tube has white color and blue rings/adapters/dovetail, so blue is the best match, but then which installation kit to buy? i bought 8" newtonian, so i should choose 8" one?

Also, which draw-tube travel measurement you recommend me to get if possible and why?

5 hours ago, elliot said:

I've spent wasted money on a cheap Seben laser collimator...which needed collimating. I then wasted so much time trying to get it perfect. I can't understand why anyone would get one. The Howie Glutter is probably a damn fine instrument, but I can think of better things to spend my money on. I've splashed out on the very fancy red anodised Cheshire from FLO and and a nice collimation cap. Very happy with the results, though it does take a bit more effort than a laser.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/premium-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

to be honest, it was the only one i added in my list long long time ago, say since last year, but the more i read about collimator i started to change my mind, i can buy this one easy, not expensive at all, but i wasn't sure if this one is good enough because it is almost not one of the expensive choices out there? Is it good with F4 regardless i have F5 newtonian but just in case for future?

I realise that funds could be short after buying a new scope, if your going to buy a cheshire buy a decent one. I have a Deluxe model from FLO, it's red and well made, it's about 32 quid I think, even though I do use a laser much of the time this may well be all you ever need. I must just explain I have a good few scopes so need different options.

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

I realise that funds could be short after buying a new scope, if your going to buy a cheshire buy a decent one. I have a Deluxe model from FLO, it's red and well made, it's about 32 quid I think, even though I do use a laser much of the time this may well be all you ever need. I must just explain I have a good few scopes so need different options.

I order regularly from FLO too, so would like to see which one did you choose, a link will do the job.

Please!

32 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

If you are going to be imaging I wouldn't buy a Moonlite. They are very smooth but lack grip for supporting cameras.

Olly

Ah i see, great you said so, because it will be definitely for imaging, so i better avoid Moonlite due to the reason you mentioned, that will left me with GSO cheaper alternative or the expensive one, FT.

9 hours ago, carastro said:

I would just try out the focusser on the scope initially and see if you have any issues with it.

Carole 

This is always the case, i just like to expect the worse and have the scenario of "What is next or what is the replacement", if it works then great, if not then i already got the answers of what to do or get, can't wait long time trying to find the right item while i am struggling with the scope parts, so i save time by knowing what is the alternatives/replacements so i can get that quick if i found out that the stock one isn't....

Archived