Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

Leam

Newbie; What did I just see?

Total newbie using his 8" Orion Dobs and staring at the moon this morning. Trying to figure out what I saw, sorry if I don't know the proper terms. Looking at the moon from USA (GMT +5) around 0600 this morning I saw a crater with what looked like something "in" it. From my view it was the upper side of the moon and just into the lit area. Decent sized crater with something in the middle of it. Just a rock?

Many craters have what are called 'central peaks'. Its a process called 'isostatic rebound' during crater formation.

YOu ever seen those slow motion videos of a drop of milk falling into a glass, and a drop bounces back up from the surface? Same thing.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks! That it was in the center of the crater is what surprised me.

Shhhh...around here we don't talk about the secret bases that the Raxacoricofallapatorians have set up to spy on us and plan their invasion.

30 minutes ago, Buzzard75 said:

Raxacoricofallapatorians

Wonderful planet but we both know that the natives are called the Slitheen :happy11:.

I agree above... Sounds like a central peak.

If it was near the terminator, that's the dark Lunar edge, and near the top of your view, it's probably Moretus, which has a large peak in the centre.