SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Milky Way Season Opener - my first post at SGL

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I just opened my account today although I have visited here occasionally over the last year and a half while searching for key information. SGL seems like a really good and helpful forum community so I figured it was time to join up.

My astro-buddy and I kicked off the official Milky Way season last week at 3:30 am out at our usual location in rural west Ottawa, Ontario. Just being out there and seeing our old friend the Milky Way was worth getting up for at 2:00 am and driving for miles. We ended our outing with an artery-clogging trucker's breakfast in a nearby country village which was a great finalé to our Season Opener! It's going to be a great year!

Last year at the start of the season it was -32 Celsius, the coldest night of the year with a wicked wind, but last week it was a balmy -5 C degrees... a veritable  Caribbean vacation by comparison!

Image details:
Nikon D5500, Sigma Art 24-35/f2, Aperture: f3.2, Exposure: 20 x 30 secs + 10 x 60 secs = 20 minutes, ISO: 800, Tracker: Sky Watcher Star Adventurer, Processing: Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Composition: Landscape and building shot at 14mm at 3:30 am in Moonlight, Milky Way shot at 24mm from 4:45 am to 5:15 am.

Buildings:
The buildings are fairly large motorized solar power-producing structures owned by a local road construction company whose CEO likes our images and allows us to use the site year-round.
The panels track the sun all day and are then automatically set to a neutral position every night till the morning.
There are company offices and storage facilities inside the buildings.... they're also a great windbreak for us.

MW_FINAL_version4_2048px.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Welcome to SGL. You have certainly made a grand entrance, very well done with a fabulous image.

Thanks Ian for your welcoming and encouraging words, very much appreciated!

Rudy

What an opening image to say the least!! absolutely beautiful image, i'm sure you knew it was awesome c'mon bud its ok to admit lol 

Welcome to SGL!! your image has inspired me to pursue AP further! the vast majority of members here are across the pond and counting sheep by now, come morning your image will receive its deserved praise by the numbers.

Hi Rudy,

A very warm welcome to our cosy little lounge :)

That is a stunning image, absolutely breathtaking. What are the structures? Some kind of solar panel array?

Tim

10 hours ago, Sunshine said:

What an opening image to say the least!! absolutely beautiful image, i'm sure you knew it was awesome c'mon bud its ok to admit lol 

Welcome to SGL!! your image has inspired me to pursue AP further! the vast majority of members here are across the pond and counting sheep by now, come morning your image will receive its deserved praise by the numbers.

Hi Sunshine,

Thanks for your warm welcome and kind words. I guess the saying is true that "You never get a second chance to make a first impression," nevertheless, I decided to simply post my most recent image and just go with that, but I am pleased with the way this season opener turned out. I'm glad it inspired you!

Cheers,
Rudy

10 hours ago, Tim said:

Hi Rudy,

A very warm welcome to our cosy little lounge :)

That is a stunning image, absolutely breathtaking. What are the structures? Some kind of solar panel array?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your warm welcome and encouraging remarks... I feel at home already! I should have joined up ages ago!

Regarding the buildings, yes those are solar panels on the structures. I have added a brief description in the original post above.

Best regards,
Rudy

10 hours ago, Ruud said:

That's an enormously big Milky Way. You did a great job, Rudy, on  a wonderful, most cleverly constructed composite. Excellent!

Welcome to the SGL.

Thanks Ruud, it's great to be here!

Cheers,
Rudy

8 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Wow.... Just wow....

welcome... Talk about entering the room chest first... Amazing image....

LOL, I hope my entrance wasn't too much of a splash. Thanks so much for your kind welcome and encouraging words!

Cheers,
Rudy

2 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Rudy, and welcome to SGL.

The only thing wrong with that photo is that now we shall expect this standard in all your photos:icon_biggrin:.

Hi Demonperformer,

Thanks for the welcome, and I will do my best to always post only my best images!

Cheers,
Rudy

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Excellent image.  I too would like to know what the structures are, but I guess the original poster is asleep now we are awake.  Lol

Carole 

Thanks Carole! I have added a brief description regarding the buildings in the original post above.

Cheers,
Rudy 

8 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Great image and I hadn't realised the Star Adventurer was now also available over there, first image I've seen from across the Pond.

Thanks happy-kat!

Yes, we've had the Star Adventurer here Canada and the US for almost 3 years. I find it to be a wonderful little tracker for Milky Way imaging and even for the bigger, brighter DSO targets like M31, M42, M45, Rosette, Flame and Horse Head, Witch Head, and a few others.

Cheers,
Rudy

Archived