Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dog with a bone - M33 again 03/10/08

Whippy

This time through the ZS66, it's all here but there's some definate oddness brought on during processing or the 66 is a bit more 'colourful' than I thought even I re-focused between every colour change. Maybe this pinwheel just doesn't like me! All I went out to do was to align the new RDF I bought for the 66...

Anyway. M33 - Total of 2hrs 48 mins exposure time (1 hr 30 mins Luminence (15 x 6 mins), 24 mins each for Red and Green (8 x 3 mins) and 30 mins for Blue (10x 3 mins). All colour binned at 2x2. Taken through a WO ZS66 by an Atik 16HR camera with IDAS and IR cut filters in the nosepiece, filterwheel with Baader RGB filters inside. Guided by a WO ZS110, QHY5 and PHD. Stacked and aligned in DSS, processed in Photoshop.

9035_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

I'll have a go Martin but I did 2x2 bin the colour which might go a bit messy when it gets re-sized.

The left hand side of the image has some kind of 'mist' that looked worse when I added the RGB, I'm still not entirely convinced about the colour balance but I think it looks better than the 110 version. Still pretty happy with it and it's a good warm up for the upcoming galaxy season :) . Was nice seeing Orion rising up over the houses that cover my SE horizon while I was packing up, that and the frost on some of the flight cases and you know Winter is in the post....

Tony..

Looking at it with my useless work monitor at the mo Tony which doesn't show much dim stuff but there does seem to be a bit of a green gradient in the bottom left which would be sorted out nicely with gradient exterminator.

Colour's very subjective but I would say a little green perhaps. You could try reducing the green highlights and giving the red a bit of a boost.

Not a bad result from an RDF aligning session!

Hey hey now that's an image to be pleased with. You're getting that LRGB processing sorted now Tony!

Billy, that looks too blue and saturated to my eye but it is really an uphill struggle working on a jpeg.

Billy (or anyone else for that matter), I've uploaded the orignal LRGB stacks for playing about with here: http://ukastronomers.com/user/add_files#whiplash/action/files/show/58/ajax/true .

I can what you're trying to achieve Billy but it looks a bit 'overcooked' to me. Like I mentioned in a post on my previous effort on this, you can do a search for M33 images and there's a whole range of colours that people process to. I agree it's looks a little Green but hey, each to their own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that...

EDIT: :) Billy!

Tony..

Thanks Tony :D

Got to keep busy :D the only LRGB data I have ever played with is from a OSC DSI IIC savign in LRGB FIts format... Nice to get my hands on some proper data :lol:

Billy...

Hey Tony you don't believe in makign life easy for yourself do you :) ah well will get me thinking :shock:

Tony I downloaded the files, coverted them to 16 bit but they wouldn't open in Maxim. Saw that the RGBs weren't aligned and were different sizes and gave up the will to live. Manually rotating and aligning in PS is like torture. If the files are the same size and aligned then merging the RGB channels is a doddle (provided you make sure they are set as grey scale.

Erm, yes. I made a bit of booboo when stacking, I changed the stacking mode to mosaic for some reason hence the different sizes.

What I normally do is do an RGB merge in PS (would that be a color combine in Maxim?), then align them in DSS, then take them back into PS for processing. No need for manual alignment :).

Tony..

I'm really enjoying the challenge of this one...hope you dont mind is i post images as i work through it...

I have the data for the LRGB channels re-scaled , aligned, grey scaled , curve adjusted, level adjusted and combined into this so far....

9070_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

back to it... it aint going to beat me ... yet....

Now to work on the gradients , hot pixels repair stars etc have some fun...

Still more to do..

9071_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I think i'll call it quits here for now...

Tony thanks for the data - its been an interesting few hours...

9072_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

But I now know why i'm, still doing OSC with a modified DSLR...

Billy....

Erm, yes. I made a bit of booboo when stacking, I changed the stacking mode to mosaic for some reason hence the different sizes.

What I normally do is do an RGB merge in PS (would that be a color combine in Maxim?), then align them in DSS, then take them back into PS for processing. No need for manual alignment :).

Tony..

I do an RGB merge in PS but the files need to be the same pixel dimensions other wise PS won't play. Also, shouldn't you have them aligned before merging. My routine is align in Maxim, merge and process in PS

Archived