SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Faint, fainter, faintest: Supernova remnant g206.9+2.3

pietervdv

Hello all,

While prospecting some potential faint targets in Monoceros I came accros Supernova remnant g206.9 in monoceros.

I only found one other amateur image of it. There is an article about this object here with some images taken with a 2.2m professional instrument:

http://www.astroscu.unam.mx/rmaa/RMxAA..50-2/PDF/RMxAA..50-2_sambrocio.pdf

This sure is one extremely faint object, thougest one for me by far. It took over 30 hours of data to come to this bit of organized noise. So no clear, fluffy and colourfull image here, but data pulled and twisted to the max to show something. The data had to be inverted to clearly show the object. I think I need to take a picture of the Rosette Nebula after this to remind myself how to process a normal image...:icon_biggrin:

Higher res version here:

https://pietervandevelde.smugmug.com/Pics/Deepsky-1/i-C4ktWQB/A

Imaging details:

10" f/3.8 homemade Newtonian astrograph

ASI 1600 MM Cool using an Astrodon 5nm h-alpha filter

Mesu 200 mount

2 pane mosaic, totaling 30 hours.

Thanks for checking it out,

Regards,

Pieter

g206.jpg

g206 post.jpg

I would not say it is beautiful, but it is clearly an outstanding image, and you have beaten the professionals by miles! (or light years). All very interesting and good luck with the Rosette (or skip it and go for something equally exciting)

Cheets

This is an outstanding image of an incredibly faint object - excellent work! Thanks for posting!

Some interesting references on Simbad here as well : http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?bibyear1=-70&bibyear2=%24currentYear&submit=Display&Ident=%40923202&Name=SNR+G206.9%2B02.3&bibdisplay=refsum&bibyear1=-20&bibyear2=%24currentYear#lab_bib

It's my great pleasure to know Pieter personally and to know what kind of amateur astronomer he is - and that's an exceptional one. How truly amazing to see such an object posted on SGL. And of this quality! Hey, I love the Rosette Nebula and have devoted days and nights of my life to photographing it, but this image is astronomy. We are only just in March but will this be image of the year?

Olly

Well done Pieter. That is dedication. I’d be very very pleased with hunting that down.

It is nice to see Astro equipment being pushed to it’s limits! 

What other faint faint targets have you uncovered?

Paul

I just had a look at your homepage Pieter, as someone here suggested, and it is really something else! You have taken B/W and Ha imaging to another level - very inspiring.

Archived