Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Pete Presland

Venus and Mercury setting in the West

Venus (btm), Mercury (top) setting at 18.45 today. A great chance to spot the elusive innermost planet over the next couple of weeks, weather permitting! Venus shining very brightly gives a perfect marker for the dimmer Mercury above.

Nothing fancy here, single widefield out of the bedroom window!

5aa0468507f7b_20018_03_0718.45VenusandMercury.thumb.JPG.0a671214d87abc5511957defcdba47d1.JPG

• Like 12

Great catch. They nearly caused me to crash last night as I noticed Mercury over Venus out of the corner of my eye, and pulled half way across the road to get a better view. Nothing was coming. But then something was, and in a panic I stalled..............other driver not impressed :s

• Like 1

Great shot, Pete. Love the twilight colors of the sky! Is that Orion's belt at the top right?

Reggie

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Is that Orion's belt at the top right?

wrong direction for Orion...looks like a plane's lights

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Great shot, Pete. Love the twilight colors of the sky! Is that Orion's belt at the top right?

Reggie

Thanks for pointing that out, it is a jet passing by I think. I hadn't even noticed it.

lights.jpg.520628a7ea5073b40065235a21efe0ba.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

I thought so. It was playing with my mind there, lol!

5 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Absolutely Orion was way to the South East at Sunset. I saw a jumbo go between the two planets through the binoculars, when it was still light. I though that would have made a nice capture.

12 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Absolutely Orion was way to the South East at Sunset. I saw a jumbo go between the two planets through the binoculars, when it was still light. I though that would have made a nice capture.

I knew Orion shouldn't have been there, haha. After zooming in I can see it's clearly a passing jet. It was a strange mind trip and a cool picture!

Edited by orion25
  • Like 2

That's great. I love those simple but rare views.

I'm kicking myself now. It was a real good sky here at sunset and I peered over the houses to my west thinking Venus might be on offer. It's obvious now that it was too low and I hadn't dialed "Mercury" into my Mk1's so wasn't looking that faint (if that makes sense! :) ). Just wish I'd driven the mile and a bit to the beach front. Perfect seaward horizon to the west.

Life is so busy right now that I'm missing the simple pleasures!

• Like 2

Looking at their position from around 6ish, I think I might have a 45 minute window for the C9.25 next time. Even though neither will offer much more than a plain disc really.

We've just had notice that our neighbours over the back have submitted plans for a ground floor extension....right in through my "Venus window". It's in consideration of those plans that I was looking through the gap for Venus tonight!

• Like 1