Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Targets that really widefield is useful for

So I've been thinking about trying to view the veil this year and thought that I would need a widefield EP to do so.  A 2nd hand EP came up and I took it so now I am the owner of a Baader 31mm 82 degree 2" EP.  I've used the FOV tool to see how much of the veil I can get in it.  I put in M82 and three big patches appear in the centre of the FOV with loads spare around the edges.  So how accurate is this.  Have I overdone the widefield approach or do I still not have all the patches of the veil in this view.  If I have overdone the widefield approach then what will an EP with this much FOV be useful for?

22 minutes ago, JOC said:

If I have overdone the widefield approach then what will an EP with this much FOV be useful for?

You could use it as a finder, instead of  finder scope!

There are so many targets up there, each  having their own merit and pitfalls.

I discovered that M31 Andromeda was almost a complete let down viewed from my garden, but away at the darker site my supplied 25mm was not wide enough, so I went for the 25mm BST, still not wide enough, and went for a 2" 32 Panaview, perfect for my needs at 70°. I do often mention that the Panaview was bought solely to observe M31, but it does good as awide-angle finder. Its not an eyepiece I would sell, definitely a keeper for this scope.

Now when I look at the Moon, my-oh-my, how small it appears, with all that space around the Moon, so not good, but as a finder, it works well for my needs when I'm cocooned inside my Dob-tent, no space for a finder, just use the 32mm to locate, then move in until my image fills the view, with just enough space to give the target some scale, and most importantly, that everything is in sharp focus.

There's nothing better than observing with a widefield scope under a dark sky. The Veil and North America Nebula are two of my favourites, and being able to fit the whole 'complex' of the Veil in is wonderful. It needs about 3.6 or more degrees to feel comfortable, but with good eye adaptation and an OIII filter it is fab.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2018 at 19:36, JOC said:

If I have overdone the widefield approach then what will an EP with this much FOV be useful for?

I like stepping back to look at globular clusters.

The wider field of view also allows you to put things into context with the stars around.

Then, on from there, being able to identify the surrounding stars also makes a wide field EP very good for star hopping.

I haven't had any luck yet with the Veil or North American Nebulae yet, I'll have to try again!

1 minute ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Open clusters, Globular clusters, Nebulae all really benefit from being observed wide field. They also do look nicer through bins in stereo vision.

Globs look fab at higher power though, that’s when they start to resolve into stars.

I should say that i even prefer observing planets wide a wide view. I find that even though the image is smaller, i can detect more finer detail. I often use a 15mm EP while observing Jupiter (or even a 20mm). I like the bigger picture, with the Jovian moons dancing around the planet. If i want to take a closer look, i'll use 8mm.

Archived