Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gearing up for Mars July 2018

Rob

So Mars this year is going to be a great event with it been at full opposition on July 27th. Its claimed the brightness of the disc will match that of the 2003 opposition, to which I recall that very well. The view & detail I managed with my 4.5inch Newt back then were awesome!

I know its very much going to be my event of the year, and seriously looking forward to using my AR127L to the max!. That said Mars observing from June through to late August will/should provide splendid results.

I'm already planning to get over to the New Forrest for this event (others are welcome to join me of course).

So how excited are we all?. What are you doing in readiness?. What location do you hope to observe from?.

Rob

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Rob said:

So Mars this year is going to be a great event with it been at full opposition on July 27th. Its claimed the brightness of the disc will match that of the 2003 opposition, to which I recall that very well. The view & detail I managed with my 4.5inch Newt back then were awesome!

I know its very much going to be my event of the year, and seriously looking forward to using my AR127L to the max!. That said Mars observing from June through to late August will/should provide splendid results.

I'm already planning to get over to the New Forrest for this event (others are welcome to join me of course).

So how excited are we all?. What are you doing in readiness?. What location do you hope to observe from?.

Rob

Haven’t planned it out yet but looking forward to it will be my first time viewing mars so quite excited about it.

That sounds great Rob. I had one of the first Skymax 127 Maks that came into the UK for that 2003 opposition. Got it to replace that monstrous Meade LX6 10" ota. Had fantastic views of Mars with it. And did some imaging amazingly. Anyway, follow this link for a blast from the past :) :

http://www.solentastro.org/gallery02.htm 

Our days at Solent Astro :)

Can't say I am that excited.  It's a decent size (24 arc seconds) BUT it will only be 7 degrees above the horizon at my latitude!  Not nearly optimal conditions.  It will take some spectacular seeing conditions to occur to be a decent sight.  Now the 2020 opposition that's a different matter.

True guys. I do agree its not that high. Also I suppose I'm lucky enough to be in the south of the UK, and next to the New Forest for a dark(er) sky.

But I cant help it, Mars just holds something special for me. To glimpse surface detail on a rock Planet in our Solar system has a magic around it. Its bit like seeing Saturn for the first time, or the Orion nebular. As a visual observer at heart, its way up there at key opposition times.

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

Its bit like seeing Saturn for the first time

We are going to have to agree to disagree on that, I'm afraid.

May have something to do with the fact that my first view of Mars was as a "red blob in the rain" (it was clear in the area of Mars, but it started to rain from clouds overhead), my first view of Saturn (and every view since) just blew me away.

35 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Can't say I am that excited.  It's a decent size (24 arc seconds) BUT it will only be 7 degrees above the horizon at my latitude!  Not nearly optimal conditions.  It will take some spectacular seeing conditions to occur to be a decent sight.  Now the 2020 opposition that's a different matter.

Yes it’s very frustrating that Mars (and Jupiter and Saturn) are low in our UK skies for the next few years. Only 11 degrees in London for Mars opposition which is going to really affect the views imo.

So as I love observing the planets, I’ve managed to persuade my girlfriend to go for a holiday in tenerife this summer. Mars is at 35 degrees, Saturn 40 degrees and Jupiter at 45 degrees high. Not great but reasonably high.

All observable from early evening through the night - a real planet festival!

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2018 at 15:29, Rob said:

Rob

Being new to the hobby and awaiting delivery of a shiny new Mak from FLO I am using this site to find out about key events like this, so thanks for the heads up :)

My interest lies with the moon and planets, so I am definitely excited about this and might, if you don't mind, join you in the New Forest over the summer.

To prepare, I need to learn how to properly use my new scope (and new mount, sourced from the classifieds on here).

James 

Yes indeed James, no worries there. And welcome to the hobby. You have some time to learn the skies & your kit. So that will be 3/4 of us then in the New Forest. Just like old times

Even at the low altitude it will be at here in the UK, it will still be a great view! Look for a time with excellent seeing (warm, humid, misty usually) and wait for those moments of superb seeing to show the detail. I'll use my 102mm f13 refractor if the seeing is good, or my 180 Mak if the seeing is excellent!

Chris

Yes Chris, your absolutely right. Mars requires a different type of observing. You have to study almost continuously, it does take its toll on the eye but work those fluctuations in the atmosphere when you suddenly grab fab details.  

Have only been able to see mars at low altitudes so far, because it comes out pretty late here, but in July 27th it will be at 82 degrees at around 1:30AM, hope the conditions will be good to get a nice view.

• 1 month later...

Yep this will be a great event. My horribly few glimpses of mars have been poor at best but I’ve taken delivery of a Mak 180 so cannot wait for this summers views. 

Westleton common is a superb dark site so should provide great views. 

Pinning my best hopes on a C8 in Tenerife. In the UK, don't wait until after dark to view Mars, start as soon as you can find it. Mars is bright so when it's dark it swamps the detail, a polarising filter would be useful as magnification will be limited in the main by the low altitude.   :icon_biggrin:

12 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Pinning my best hopes on a C8 in Tenerife. In the UK, don't wait until after dark to view Mars, start as soon as you can find it. Mars is bright so when it's dark it swamps the detail, a polarising filter would be useful as magnification will be limited in the main by the low altitude.   :icon_biggrin:

Don't worry, we'll all have "cloud filters" available in the UK! I was having a looksee at Jupiter a few nights back when it was 10 degrees up as a practice for Mars, with various scopes, filters etc. Light cloud was nearly as good as my 10% transmission ND filter.

Chris

Yes, certainly looking forward to it - event of the year for me.  Especially with the total lunar eclipse on opposition night.   I'll be using my Astro-Tech 102ED and SW 180 Mak. 

P1291446a.thumb.jpg.95fb8389f99a941f2360ffbdfa4c5a27.jpg   P4251505a.thumb.jpg.ad4695650e9d3b992d0f439d088b86c5.jpg

I'll struggle to see it from home at opposition so have  a nice site about five minutes drive way I can go to if needs must - Peniston Hill Country Park.  There's a good car park near the top which could take 30 plus cars and is flat with loads of room to set up equipment.  Also triangulation point is a great spot with a 360 degree panoramic view - though you have to walk a little way with your equipment.

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/media/2055/penistonehillheritagetrail.pdf

I'll also be targeting my annual pilgrimage to Kelling Heath on September 6th.  At this time Mars is still very favourable and still 20 " across.  With the likely more favourable weather and seeing conditions at Kelling I'm likely to extend my four night stay for two or three nights or so if the weather is good.

Can't wait!!

Archived