Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Nyctimene

Janssen area

This morning, unplanned once more, I was out at 5 a.m. with the Heritage 130 P Flextube, for some lunar observing. Slight haze, some clouds; seeing on average, and allowing mags of 120x up to sometimes 183x (Seben Zoom + Baader Barlow 2,25x). The terminator was already at the W rim of the large walled plain Janssen (250x200 km), and I was impressed by the ruggedness of it's surface. A dominant central mountain region, two large superimposed (=later) craters Fabricius and Metius, and an overwhelming lot of smaller craters and rock formations - a real challenge for sketchers. Rima Janssen could be made out easily, extending from the S side of Fabricius, and curving along the E of the central mountain region in a beautiful arc to the south, splitting up into three branches. It looked like a gigantic irrigation system - crater/lake - rima/channel, extending diminishing in a rather flat part of the area; very nice, and a recommendable target. I spent half an hour looking at this detailed moon region, went over shortly to the craters Pitiscus and Vlacq, and finished with the bright ray system of crater Byrgius A far in the west, S of Crüger. Once again, the small 5.1" scope gave excellent views, and was limited only by the seeing, not by the quality of it's optics; an excellent grab-and-go combo with Zoom and 2,25x Barlow.

Thanks for reading. Attached a picture:

image.png.af0069bae46e3ced0dddc454aaa53452.png

Stephan

• Like 10

Nice report Stephan, thanks for the inspiration of a beautiful Lunar area!

Great scope indeed, I am thinking about a barlow too for mine. Do you have a tip on which one to buy?

Edited by Eastman
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Eastman said:

I am thinking about a barlow too for mine. Do you have a tip on which one to buy?

Thanks, Eastman, for your kind reply!

I'm very pleased with the shorty Baader 2,25x Barlow (for 1,25" focusers). It works indeed very well with the Heritage 130 P Flextube, giving very crisp, undistorted views without inducing any chromatic aberrations (despite the fast f/5 aperture ratio). Comparing the optical quality to my Zeiss Abbe 2x Barlow, it is not much behind. Tiny, lightweight, and cheap. I bought mine from Teleskop-Express:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5503_Baader-1-25--Q-Turret-Barlow---1-3x-und-2-25x---HT-Multiverguetung.html

Combined with the Seben 8x24 Zoom, you get a variety of magnifications between 27x and 183x; a very good combo. I've added a ES 26mmf/62° LER eyepiece, to get the maximal TFOV of 2.5° (cheaper and more lightweight than the praised ES 24mmf/68°, and, moreover, giving a slightly larger exit pupil - good for views of faint, extended nebulae under dark skies). A small set, good for grab-and-go, and for traveling.

Stephan

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the recommendation and explanation Stephan. The combination with the zoom eyepiece also seems ideal for traveling.

• Like 1