SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon filters?

Ok so I realise the moon is very bright, and so ideally I could do with a filter. Now my scope is 1.25" standard but also the lens cap has a smaller cap in the centre, and I've heard mention that its for observing the moon. Does a filter fit on that hole or am I best fitting one to the eyepiece? I do have a few polarisers knocking about from my photography hobby, basically a mild  ND filter. I also have a matching set for my microscope with (I think) 30.5mm thread. Might I utilise those on my eyepiece/star diagonal?

Cheers

I would fit a filter to the eyepiece. If you use the small hole you will reduce the aperture and reduce resolution. Now I've got binoviewers I just use a neodymium filter but previously when monoviewing I would use a pair of polarising filters to dial down the brightness and get the best contrast. If you've got a diagonal that is threaded you can put one half on the diagonal and one on the eyepiece and simply rotate the eyepiece in the focuser to get the desired brightness. If your telescope also accepts 2" eyepieces you can do the same thing by adding a 2" filter to the 2"-1.25" adaptor. Unfortunately, I don't think the filters you've already got are likely to fit but these filters can be bought cheaply in eBay direct from China if you don't mind the wait. 

Cheaper way of doing it for now is wear your sunglasses when observing the moon. I’ve just bought the moon filter below which is exactly the same as the Baader moon filters available at 3x the cost. Plan on using it for when I image the moon with my ZWO camera, but also handy for when the moon is larger in size and brighter, so easier on the eye too.

https://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-ND06-Neutral-Density-Filter-with-25-Transmission-1.25-M28-ND96-0.6.html

27 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Cheaper way of doing it for now is wear your sunglasses when observing the moon. I’ve just bought the moon filter below which is exactly the same as the Baader moon filters available at 3x the cost. Plan on using it for when I image the moon with my ZWO camera, but also handy for when the moon is larger in size and brighter, so easier on the eye too.

https://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-ND06-Neutral-Density-Filter-with-25-Transmission-1.25-M28-ND96-0.6.html

Why did I not think of that! I'm a glasses wearer and I have prescription sunglasses, which are quite dark (too dark for me generally unless in very bright summer, which is rare)

Archived