Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All Sky Plate Solver slewing problem

cuivenion

Hi, I take an image and then successfully solve it in All Sky Plate Solver, and it syncs the mount (HEQ5 with EQMOD). However from that point on I can't slew to another object. I have to restart the planetarium software before I can slew again. I don't get any error messages or crashes. The mount just won't slew. This happens in both Cartes Du Ceil and Stellarium. All my ascom related software is set to run as administrator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is it EQMOD or communication problem? Can you move telescope with EQMOD's NSWE buttons after sync? Can you point telescope again once you remove alignment points from EQMOD window? Do you have latest ASCOM (6.3) and EQMOD installed?

I use EQMOD for several years with different mounts (also with custom solutions) and laptops and have not noticed this kind of behaviour :( Maybe remove EQMOD with all settings, reinstall it and configure from scratch would help? Or revert to some older version - I used 1.29 for a long time, and only recently started to use 2.00. 

48 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

I've never used POTH. Is it advisable to use it when a lot of software is connecting to EQMOD?

As I understand it POTH was used when Ascom didn't do "one to many" connections - e.g. one mount 4 s/w connections. So you shouldn't need it any more. I use EQMOD/ASCOM and regularly connect eqmod,CDC,PHD2,APT to the mount with no problems.  

Try connecting just the mount and EQMOD use the dir keys to move. If thats ok then connect CDC and move to an object and "sync" via CDC - are you able to move to another object after the sync. If thats ok then try ASPS and try sync. At least it will give you an idea which piece of software is "hogging" the link. Also check that they are all using JNOW or J2000(shouldn't make any difference to trying to slew) and that all your software is using the same EQMOD ASCOM interface - you can't mix the interface. Plus try a friends EQDIR linkand cable - if they have the same HEQ5 - as bad cables can give funnt results. Never used ASPS by itself only thru APT so dont know if the mount connection in ASPS works in "stand alone"  mode - Maxim users may be able to help but APT i believe issues the SYNC in my case not ASPS. 

14 minutes ago, stash_old said:

As I understand it POTH was used when Ascom didn't do "one to many" connections - e.g. one mount 4 s/w connections. So you shouldn't need it any more. I use EQMOD/ASCOM and regularly connect eqmod,CDC,PHD2,APT to the mount with no problems.  

Hi, All software is set to JNOW. EQMOD is fine before the sync, very occasionally a short 4-8x slew will cause the wrong axis to move, which is strange. It only happens very infrequently and gotos are good so it never bothered me.

32 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Hi, All software is set to JNOW. EQMOD is fine before the sync, very occasionally a short 4-8x slew will cause the wrong axis to move, which is strange. It only happens very infrequently and gotos are good so it never bothered me.

Just tried ASPS stand alone connected to mount - odd thing is that unlike all other Ascom connected software it doesn't check to see if there is a mount after I have selected EQMOD in the drop down and clicked "yes". This should happen when its the first s/w to connect to the EQMOD driver !!!  The other thing I noticed (the other day) is that in stand alone it never saves my Lat/Long correctly.

I know it defeats the objective of using ASPS but uncheck the "execute SYNC mount "in ASPS and see if you can slew after ASPS has finished solving an image 

Also something else to try (during the day) use the EQMOD simulator and solve a saved image - what are the results ?

5 minutes ago, spillage said:

Have you tried APT or similar?

I don't use APT at the moment. I did try using Sharpcap, that uses the ASPS index but not the front end. Unfortunately Sharpcap had problems solving my images, whereas ASPS did it with no problems. To be honest I don't use plate solving a lot. It's main use for me is the first slew from eqmod which is always off by a large amount. I like to do a plate solve rather than manually align the mount so I don't disturb polar alignment/balance.

1 minute ago, cuivenion said:

Hi I tried using the simulator. The simulator didn't show a sync after I confirmed it ASPS.

Then that sounds like ASPS isn't passing the sync to EQMOD or it's being rejected/ignored by EQMOD - check your EQMOD settings 

10 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Hi I tried using the simulator. The simulator didn't show a sync after I confirmed it ASPS.

Just tried it myself using APT,CDC,EQMOD SIM - didn't pass sync from APT or CDC so maybe EQMOD Sim doesn't store syncs from simulator - not noticed/tried this before - ie sync using eqmod simulator

7 minutes ago, spillage said:

Give APT a go. Its free. It will plate solve, slew, plate solve, slew and continue to do so until it is in the specified pixel distance to the object.

Might do at some point. Looks like I might have a lot of time to learn new software. Weathers shocking at the moment.

9 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Then that sounds like ASPS isn't passing the sync to EQMOD or it's being rejected/ignored by EQMOD - check your EQMOD settings 

Just tried it myself using APT,CDC,EQMOD SIM - didn't pass sync from APT or CDC so maybe EQMOD Sim doesn't store syncs from simulator - not noticed/tried this before - ie sync using eqmod simulator

Hopefully disconnecting mount in ASPS after the SYNC will work. The sync does work in normal use. Just hoping for a clear sky to check the suggestions out.

Archived