Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop - Curves or Levels?

Hi Mark. Thanks for that - I read through that link and tried the process on an image that I'd already processed just to see more or less what would happen. Seems to work fine and is relatively straightforward. I'll defintely give this a go next time I get some new data - fat chance with the current weather!

I'm not quite sure though at what stage I would apply this. Seems to me that if working in OSC you would just apply that to the RGB image. But if working in mono with an L layer, not sure how you would suggest using this? Maybe compile the RGB channels, stretch as per your method, the put the L on top?

Also I need to understand background subtraction! I take it you don't mean the subtraction that occur in calibration?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tom,

The method was designed for RGB images, I've never really thought about how to bring an L channel into it.

By background subtraction I mean subtracting the light pollution to make the background near to black.  Otherwise the (typically brown) light pollution will dilute the colour.

Mark

Archived