Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it difficult to 'flash' upgrade the synscan units?

I'm bored, but it seems a good day to do some telescope maintenance things.  I want to stick the rubber feet back in the bottom of the stand, check collimation, and I wondered about upgrading the synscan unit.  I know there is a different version of the software - If I bought the telescope in to the computer how big a job (i.e. how risky of not ending up with a working synscan) is upgrading the software on the unit.  I am robustly IT literate, but I don't like doing stuff to things that are already working in case they end up in a lesser state!

It's a pretty straightforward process and doesn't often, if ever go catastrophically wrong but... if your computer doesn't have a serial port (most don't these days) then you will need a good USB to serial device as some of the cheaper ones have compatibility issues causing the firmware update process to stall midway through, not complete or not even start properly.

The Sky-Watcher one works well:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/sky-watcher-synscan-usb-to-serial-rs-232-cable.html

It can take awhile for the programming process to complete though - minutes, not hours but still...

I did it..... and I am a bit of a numpty in terms of IT and techo stuff.  I followed somebody's guidance on-line and had the correct set of connectors going from computer to handset.... I fashioned a truly epic  "Frankenconnector"  from old parts.... but it worked !!  Yay!!    Probably best to get the right kit ( always is ultimately) as Grant says above..

Sean.

Thanks all, most of the computers here still have serial ports inc. the portable I'm typing on now so it will just be a case of finding a lead - I have a 'cables box' up the loft that would do justice to Radio Spares so there is a chance that I can turn up the correct kit - I will report back if I give it a bash.

21 hours ago, Grant said:

Are you certain they are serial ports and not VGA ports for external monitors? Have to ask as plenty of people get these mixed up :)

Thanks for this, yes, I am certain I've got some serial ports on the go - I've got some fairly esoteric kit here and some fairly old computers! 

Flash memory upgrades usually proceed Ok once you have the right setup. Be aware though that there is a finite risk of it going wrong and leaving you with a useless lump of plastic. Hence the warnings about not removing power during the transfer.

It would be prudent to look up what the upgrade actually does, and if it does not look useful or relevant, don't do it.

At work I bricked a serial card once while doing a software upgrade, but I did lots that went OK.

Archived