Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MeyGray3833

Not sure if this is really worthy, I was very surprised at how clean the data was for 47minutes total doing a focusing/dithering/guiding/sequencing test in SGP 3. It still lacks some focus which I should be able to correct this week or next as I will have the right flattener for the scope. The only downside is it will also be a reducer as I cannot make the minimum distance for the other scope specific flattener that I have that offers no reduction.

Anyway, here it is, NGC3372 Eta Carinae in LRGB.

http://www.pbase.com/image/167076501

Cheers and clears.

NGC3372_LRGB_Tiny.jpg

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks! But I rarely click on links unfortunately!

Hi tooth_dr,

I appreciate you dropping in and taking a look anyway.

The reason I use a link is I try to keep all my images in one place that I can protect if I think I need to. I realise it is extra bandwidth and clicking for some, for which I'm very sorry.

Cheers.

More than "worthy"... Something to be proud of...

Don't worry too much about the flattener being also a reducer, the amount of detail captured through a reducer will be very close, if not the same, as when comparing to the full focal length image.

The reducer has a added bonus of having a wider field of view, guiding (or seeing conditions) are more forgiving, and you'll capture the same amount of signal in half the time.

8 hours ago, Rodd said:

Looks good--though its hard to look at it at this scale.  For some reason I can only open a tiny thumbnail.  Certainly has color.  Can't tell about focus.  

Rodd

Hi Rodd,

Are you clicking on the link above the image? That should take you to a full size image.

If not, I'll re-link it.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

More than "worthy"... Something to be proud of...

Don't worry too much about the flattener being also a reducer, the amount of detail captured through a reducer will be very close, if not the same, as when comparing to the full focal length image.

The reducer has a added bonus of having a wider field of view, guiding (or seeing conditions) are more forgiving, and you'll capture the same amount of signal in half the time.

Thanks for the confidence boost on the reducer/flattener, I appreciate that.

It will take it from F7 to F5.6 which still should be OK considering the aperture.

9 hours ago, MeyGray3833 said:

Thanks for the confidence boost on the reducer/flattener, I appreciate that.

It will take it from F7 to F5.6 which still should be OK considering the aperture.

I got all hung up on 2032mm imaging, but I'm starting to think that using the f6.3 reducer will give me the same detail when cropped to same framing.

At higher magnifications, images are more susceptible to seeing... or in other words, seeing imperfections are magnified too.

After I've finished my current imaging project, I'll switch to imaging with the reducer and compare to confirm my theory.

Archived