Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants.thumb.jpg.0a6deb4bf0886533629e2bdc08293bc9.jpg

NGC 1528 at 150x

0C7A95C2-A19C-4E95-98B7-4CF6C4C6C233.thumb.png.8609e2136e29c6c276218c50f8cf47ee.png

Spent just under 45 minutes at the eyepiece, so ran up against the issue of field rotation (really for first time in my limited sketching experience) and realized the importance of not only anchoring features to certain areas within the eyepiece, but also (and probably more importantly) using the relative locations between 3 and 4 stars at a time to make as accurate a sketch as possible.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice sketch, Rick. It looks like a very good target for sketches, with a reasonable number of stars and some interesting patterns.

Good points about anchoring the sketch. When I sketch (which is rare, and certainly produces nothing I would care to share on a public forum!), I find that I always have to start with the outside and then fill in the middle - otherwise I tend to run out of space at the edge and stand no chance of getting proportions anything like right.

Thanks! Trust me, I don’t have too much I care to share in public either!! :happy8:

On 04/03/2018 at 05:15, Demonperformer said:

Nice sketch, Rick. It looks like a very good target for sketches, with a reasonable number of stars and some interesting patterns.

Good points about anchoring the sketch. When I sketch (which is rare, and certainly produces nothing I would care to share on a public forum!), I find that I always have to start with the outside and then fill in the middle - otherwise I tend to run out of space at the edge and stand no chance of getting proportions anything like right.

Don't be shy! I bet your sketches are better than you think, and may inspire others to have a go! And even if the end result isn't what you'd like it to be, you've almost certainly seen more detail in the object you're looking at than you'd have seen had you only looked at it.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2018 at 03:43, RJ901 said:

Thanks! Trust me, I don’t have too much I care to share in public either!! :happy8:

Rick, if you're other sketches are anything like this one, then they are certainly worth sharing. Great sketch and observation! I look forward to seeing more in the future! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I bet your sketches are better than you think

Trust someone who has seen them ... they aren't!

13 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

you've almost certainly seen more detail in the object you're looking at than you'd have seen had you only looked at it

Totally agree with you on this. Most of my time is spent imaging, which nicely circumvents the problem of my (lack of) ability. When doing visual, I do like to make "paper" recordings (little crosses in their rough positions) or sometimes use a dictophone to do a voice recording, detailing what I am seeing. Same principle, I am forcing myself to actually see what I am looking at.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

or sometimes use a dictophone to do a voice recording, detailing what I am seeing.

Love this idea! Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Toxophilus
      I finally got round to testing my new configuration using a Pegaus Ultimate Power Box. So now only 2 cables going to the mount for everything instead of a tangled spiders web. I'm pleased with the results so far, just have a few minor things to change but I just randomly picked a target of Messier 39 to test it all with and was not expecting much. But I was delighted with the result for something that was only going to be a basic test.

• By MeyGray3833
      Howdy.
      I got out of my depth on this one, surprisingly hard to process and the colour data was rubbish, not to mention all the other stuff that is wrong with the image! We are our own worst critics!
      Anyway, the image is loosely centered on open cluster Pismis 4 backed by part of the Vela Supernova Remnant.

Telescope: William Optics FLT132
      Guide Scope: QHY OAG
      Camera: QHY9 Mono @ -20c
      Filter Wheel: QHY 7 position Ultra Slim
      Filters: QHY 36mm unmounted L R G B HA OIII SII
      Guide Camera: QHY5L-II
      Mount: AZ-EQ6
      Mount Control: EQASCOM
      Focusing: SharpSky Pro and Sequence Generator Pro 3 (automated)
      Bahtinov Mask: Yes (initial focus)
      Capture Software: Sequence Generator Pro 3
      Guiding Software: PHD2
      Calibration and Stacking Software: PixInsight
      Processing Software: PixInsight
      Number and Type of Data Frames: L= 18X10 min, R= 6x7 min, G= 6x7 min, B= 6x7 min
      Ha= x , SII= x , OIII= x .
      Binning: 1x1
      Total Image Time: 306 minutes
      Light Box by Exfso

Thanks for looking.

• By MeyGray3833
      This is open cluster Pismis 4 in the Vela constellation and backed by part of the Vela supernova remnant. Some information regarding Paris Pismis and her catalogue can be found on this link.
      http://sandandstars.co.za/2018/01/25/paris-pismis-and-her-catalogue-of-open-clusters/

Telescope: William Optics FLT132
      Guide Scope: QHY OAG
      Camera: QHY9 Mono @ -20c
      Filter Wheel: QHY 7 position Ultra Slim
      Filters: QHY 36mm unmounted L R G B
      Guide Camera: QHY5L-II
      Mount: AZ-EQ6
      Mount Control: EQASCOM
      Focusing: SharpSky Pro and Sequence Generator Pro 3 (automated)
      Capture Software: Sequence Generator Pro 3
      Guiding Software: PHD2
      Calibration and Stacking Software: PixInsight
      Processing Software: PixInsight
      Number and Type of Data Frames: L= 18X10 min, R= 6x7 min, G= 6x7 min, B= 6x7 min
      Binning: 1x1
      Total Image Time: 306 minutes
      Light Box by Exfso
    • By Djt
      Hi
      thought you might be interested in this.
      The Jewel box sits in Crux and is pretty spectacular in an eyepiece.
      This was captured using MaximDL and processed in PixInsight. Not much was done in terms of processing but as the stars are fairly young I boosted the blues a little as in its basic processed state they were pretty much white (so shorter subs needed?)
      location  - Sydney
      gear
      GSO RC10a Truss (first light)
      Moravian G2 8300 with astronomiks filters
      AP900 mount
      Image data, RGB 24:24:24 in 3 minute subs
      Cheers

• By MikeODay
      Shimmering like a pearl to the naked eye, this open cluster of mostly young blue stars ( known as the "Pearl Cluster" ) is approximately 5500  light years from Earth and was discovered by Abbe Lacaille in 1752 from South Africa.  

A Cluster of Pearls in the Southern Skies ( NGC 3766 " The Pearl Cluster" ) 
      ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be found here )
      This HDR image is constructed from 11 sets of exposures ranging from 1/4 sec ( to capture the centre of the brighter stars ) through to 240 seconds ( for the fainter stars of the Milky Way ).  Total exposure time was around 5 hours.
      Image details can be found here

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.