Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which mount EQ6-R Pro or Rowan belt modded & regreased NEQ6-Pro?

Ryan_86

Hi all, 

This is probably the most important hobby choice I have ever & will ever have to make in my life. It'sbetween the two mentioned above. The upgraded NEQ6-R Pro has been done in store by Rother Valley optics, therefore comes with their own warranty. Both will be the same price once I factor in the upgrade bokts for the NEQ6-Pro.

I have a small portable setup at the moment, a Star Adventurer, Zenithstar 61 and a synguider ll. I hope to use both on my new mount, along with either a 100-120mm refractor or a 150mm reflector.

I understand the EQ6-R Pro has a higher payload, thicker tripod legs and a handle. However (again I'v been told) the upgraded NEQ6-Pro is more accurate for long exposures when guided via PHD. I will be using PHD in the future, but for now I aim to keep it as portable as I can hence the synguider.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated during this very very important decision???

Much appreciated guys 

Ryan

I can’t think why the NEQ6 would guide more accurately than the EQ6-R. Who told you that? Both mounts would benefit greatly by being guided via PHD2.

What was the reasoning given behind the belt-modded NEQ6's better guiding performance? The differences between the two seem to be mainly linked to the fact that the EQ6-R has a sleeker design, handle, better latitude adjustment and a built-in DSLR shutter release. I regreased and belt-modded my NEQ6 Pro myself (it's now for sale as I've upgraded to an Avalon), and it does guide very well (guiding graph attached), depending on seeing conditions. I found this review of the EQ6-R which you might find helpful: http://astrojolo.com/gears/sky-watcher-eq6-r-review/. One other mount around this price range I can suggest is the AZ-EQ6, well worth a look: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq6-mount.html.

5a9b0c2099b2f_NEQ6GuidingGraph.thumb.png.fa6aa58acd0e5e2da8d59023ce178e9d.png

Hi both,

A chap I speak to at my local astronomy group. He said in his opinion, the NEQ6 regrease and belt mod gives a slightly flatter graph in PHD compared to a stock EQ6-R.  

Thanks for the link and PHD picture SyetT?? IT seems the EQ6-R is more user friendly and I agree it looks sleeker. The az eq6 is slightly above my budget, looks a great mount?? 

I feel I'm leaning towards the EQ6-R, being an evolution of the NEQ6-pro, it makes sense to go for it. 

Decisions decisions?

Cheers guys.

31 minutes ago, Ryan_86 said:

Hi both,

A chap I speak to at my local astronomy group. He said in his opinion, the NEQ6 regrease and belt mod gives a slightly flatter graph in PHD compared to a stock EQ6-R.  

Thanks for the link and PHD picture SyetT?? IT seems the EQ6-R is more user friendly and I agree it looks sleeker. The az eq6 is slightly above my budget, looks a great mount?? 

I feel I'm leaning towards the EQ6-R, being an evolution of the NEQ6-pro, it makes sense to go for it. 

Decisions decisions?

Cheers guys.

I doubt you'd find that difference between every two sets of mounts you compare, as there does seem to be variability in quality control across mass-produced mounts. Some people tend to have excellent guiding day in day out, whereas others have problem after problem. My personal opinion would be to save up a bit more and go for the AZEQ6; it seems to me to be generally better engineered overall, and I'm sure there are threads here and elsewhere comparing the AZEQ6 to the NEQ6 and EQ6-R. I was actually going to go for the AZEQ6 as an upgrade, but the Avalon came up at a bargain price which I couldn't resist. All the best with your purchase. :) 

I agree that the luck of the draw is the dominant factor because of variable QC. Another significant advantage of the later mount is the power supply. When you break the connector on the original (as does happen!) you'll be forking out for a new motherboard.

Olly

All I can add is that if I were to purchase a brand new mount then I would be less inclined to strip it down. A second hand neq6 on the other hand would just be asking for a strip down (have to anyway to fit the belt mod), this will allow you to check and put right all the QC issues and give it a hyper-tune, grease up, bearing change etc. 

I did read about the poor power supply connetor on the NEQ6. There are to many variables in this game lol. 

I'm not sure how long the EQ6-R has been out, I can't find much info on it other than a review or two. However the AZEQ6-GT has caught my eye. I may stretch the budget if I can convince myslef. It does look a beefy/sturdy piece of kit. Would this be the ome to go for overall?

Thanks??

1 hour ago, Ryan_86 said:

I did read about the poor power supply connetor on the NEQ6. There are to many variables in this game lol. 

I'm not sure how long the EQ6-R has been out, I can't find much info on it other than a review or two. However the AZEQ6-GT has caught my eye. I may stretch the budget if I can convince myslef. It does look a beefy/sturdy piece of kit. Would this be the ome to go for overall?

Thanks??

I would highly recommend going for the AZEQ6; it's been around much longer than the EQ6-R, and is definitely an improvement on the NEQ6. I've seen it in person, and it's a very solid piece of kit within this price range. If your budget is around the £1300 mark anyway, then stretching another £100 or so would be very worthwhile in the long term.

Archived