SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Soul and a bit of a heart in Ha and fake colour UPDATED

gorann

It suddenly cleared for three hours on Thursday so I had my second attempt at Ha imaging. The moon could not be fuller and snow on the ground made it difficult to even see the brightest stars. So basically I really doubted that I would get any data of value, especially since I was using a rather wide (12nm) Ha filter and an unmodded DSLR.

This is 18 x 8 min with a Canon 300mm f/4 (@f/4) and an unmodded Canon 60D (ISO1600) with an Astronomic 12nm clip filter. Sitting on my EQ8.

Then, a little devil woke up inside me and I may have done something illegal (but I think I remember having seen Sara done it once): I colourized the image by playing around with it in various ways in Photoshop.....

Comments, suggestions and angry screams most welcome!

EDIT: I have now added 8 x 20 min of data to the centre of the image from my 5" refactor (with a Canon 60Da) sitting side by side with the telephoto lens. Quite a bit more detail now to be seen. I had given up on that data and not even looked at it until today, the reason being that 5 out of 8 subs were taken at ISO 12800 (which I used for framing) and I thought it woul just be too noisy. I stacked it together with the last three frames taken at ISO1600 and the noise was not that bad. The -15°C outside probably helped a bit.

I also post a crop of the area covered by the 5" refactor.

IMG5327-44PS12bFrameSmallSign.jpg

IMG5327-44PS18frameSmallSign.jpg

IMG5327-44PS18+ES127PS3frameSmallSign.jpg

IMG5327-44PS18+ES127PS5cropFrameSmallSign.jpg

4 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Well considering conditions you had and I know exactly what you mean with snow about I think this is a lovely shot I am not even bothered about the colour which I don't feel is overdone. Nice capture!!

Alan

Thanks Alan, very kind!

Thanks Barry!

yes, with the clouds conspiring against us up here in northern Europe I try to compensate with a triple rig, free data from places like the Liverpool Telescope, and now Ha imaging on moon lit nights, to get data to process, which (possibly like you) I find to be the most rewarding part of this hobby. I am quite tempted to go down the path of remote imaging.....

Archived