Narrowband

Camera Ideas

alan potts

I have views from a couple of fellow Mods but would like to know what others think too.

I intend to move away from DSLR once I feel I have a decent grounding in AP and of course because things change so fast may well ask the same question at a later date. Iam not over keen on RGB idea and would like to stick in the one shot game.

My two main scopes for imaging will be a 190mm M/N at 1000mm F/L and an APO at 805mm, the latter also can have a focal reducer/flattener fitted making it about 640mm. I am also considering an addition maybe in the 500mm area which could be an Espirit 100mm. My mount at the moment is an AZ EQ 6 which I am not over pleased with and may well upgrade to something larger.

So I am looking for some sugestions as to cameras that will be used on these but may also be used binned on longer scopes (12inch SC at 1920mm)  though this is really not that important.

I do have 3 Canon bodies I can also use Mk2 1DS, and 7D mk2 as well as the 40D which is modded. So I do have a full frame option albeit rather heavy.

Budget in the 2000 pounds area.

Alan

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

would like to stick in the one shot game.

cameras that will be used on these but may also be used binned

"Proper" binning (done at the pixel level inside the camera) doesn't seem to be an option on OSC cameras.

5 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Yes these do look very good, I had forgotten this thread and it looks as if most have missed it judging by your one post suggesting something. These ZWO cameras are well priced and I know a few here in Bulgaria that have bought one of these 1600 models, having said that I have not spoken to them, just know 3 have been bought through a friend. I was looking at the Atik line of CCD's but maybe now feel it is good to wait a bit until more feed-back on CMOS comes through. I still have not got guiding to work but hope I am not too far away with that, nothing much is easy with this AP lark and I thought Photoshop would be the difficult bit maybe it is because I can do that in the warm.

Alan

I'd forgotten about the ASI 294, it looks very attractive (For an OSC), the price is good too.

I already have an ASI 1600 (Older, non-pro) cooled mono which I'm quite happy with. The 294 would be a pretty good fit for my 130mm triplet at 910mm.

Now, if they did a mono version....

I am using one of these here,  https://www.altairastro.com/Altair-Hypercam-IMX183C-Colour-Astronomy-CMOS-Camera.html

It takes lots of getting used to, I have an EOS 6D and an EOS 60DA (original) and this took me 6 months to get used to, and I still have a lot to learn. It is a totally different setup and naturally requires a PC or Laptop that needs to be pretty high-end since the camera is a 20 MP USB 3.0  and can give you a high FPS, which, in turn, means you just do not buy the Camera, but also need a device to run it with. I run mine with a modified NUC I7 directly from the mount/scope to enable short cables and send the images directly to the device. It is a deep sky camera but it is versatile - attached is a single Moon pic, no editing, directly as taken. 

moon 183c 21022018.png

1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

What's the issue with your Az Eq6?

I am of the opinion there is just too much play in each axis, OK I know it's not a 10 Micron mount or whatever but for me it should be better than it is. I was having massive guiding issues which I thought may be the mount but this has now, last night as it happens, proved to be unfair. I generally like SW gear it's good value for money, very pleased with their M/N 190mm and 180mm Mak

1 minute ago, alan potts said:

I am of the opinion there is just too much play in each axis, OK I know it's not a 10 Micron mount or whatever but for me it should be better than it is. I was having massive guiding issues which I thought may be the mount but this has now, last night as it happens, proved to be unfair. I generally like SW gear it's good value for money, very pleased with their M/N 190mm and 180mm Mak

Yes i've got a massive amount of play in the Dec axis of mine. I plan to strip and re grease it in the summer. Apparently once this is done it performs well. 

2 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Yes i've got a massive amount of play in the Dec axis of mine. I plan to strip and re grease it in the summer. Apparently once this is done it performs well. 

I have the tools to do this but don't fancy the job, I have had a play with Alen keys but it never seemed to make any difference to me.

59 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I have the tools to do this but don't fancy the job, I have had a play with Alen keys but it never seemed to make any difference to me.

Ya it looks daunting and time consuming. What kind of money would we be talking for a good mount capable of taking similar weight to the Az Eq6?

Archived