Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Davenn

The Sun in Ha, 3 March 2018

Been a couple of weeks since I last got a chance to do some solar observing/imaging some Ha images from today.

One very large prominence and some filaments .... Lunt LS60THa and a ASI1600MM camera, Sharpcap software and some editing in LR

5a9a12c918e10_180303Cap001sm.thumb.jpg.68ffc4a470372a72cdacff9ee6b21a9d.jpg

5a9a12cbabd35_180303Cap005sm.thumb.jpg.697255b8be01aaa3656f82df85145c08.jpg

5a9a12ce93c56_180303Cap014sm.thumb.jpg.c3343d051434725c820b77d30568817a.jpg

5a9a12d097392_180303Cap027.jpg.6e16218860721d880bc05a02860c46cc.jpg

Dave

• Like 8

Nice work, Dave.  I was hoping someone would capture that prom, as I'm clouded over.

Thanks for the shares.

Clear Skies

• Thanks 1

great shots Dave, I'm having a go at the mo, not having much luck so far, I have seen the prom through the live view and it looks nice just the gaps in the cloud are very few. thanks. charl. 

• Thanks 1

Very nice capture. No chance here as we have 18 inches of frozen snow on the ground.

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:21, Lowjiber said:

Nice work, Dave.  I was hoping someone would capture that prom, as I'm clouded over.

Thanks for the shares.

Clear Skies

HI John, thanks mate ... getting more difficult for me now,  the days are getting shorter and the sun is now too low in the sky by the time I get home from work

so if the weekend happens to be cloudy, a couple of weeks can easily go by between observing/imaging sessions  :( 

22 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots Dave, I'm having a go at the mo, not having much luck so far, I have seen the prom through the live view and it looks nice just the gaps in the cloud are very few. thanks. charl. 

Hey Charl, Thanks :) 

yeah,  astronomy  be it day or nite stuff can be very trying at times .... I have missed the last 4 total lunar eclipses because of cloud  :(

22 hours ago, laudropb said:

Very nice capture. No chance here as we have 18 inches of frozen snow on the ground.

yikes .... snow is not something I have to worry about in Sydney

how many of you guys are aware of this handy solar tool ? .....

https://samuelastronomy.wordpress.com/tag/solar-ruler/

I used it for the first time today on the first of the images in this thread to gauge the height of that large prominence

here's the result

5a9bb9d1ab4dc_180303Cap0012a1.thumb.jpg.cbc1bcf411081bd945c85cb64ced36da.jpg

probably around 60 - 65,000 km high !!

Dave

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jambouk
      I asked a few weeks ago about charging two batteries from one solar panel. I’ve now got a solar controller which can do this, see below, but I’m confused by the instruction manual, especially how I should set the “charging priority”. I assumed the unit would charge battery 1 until full, then move on and charge battery 2 until full, then go back to 1. I’m not sure what this charging priority is - image of the relevant page from the manual below. I’d be grateful to hear what you think it means.
      Thanks.
      James.

• By MalVeauX
      Hey all,
      I made an acquisition and processing tutorial a while back (3 years ago? Yikes!) and it is fairly dated in terms of what I'm doing these days. I've been asked for a long time to make a new one showing what I'm doing these days. Specifically how I'm processing a single shot image for both the surface and prominences and how to process them together to show prominences and the surface at once. I've abandoned doing split images and composites and strictly work from one image using layers. Acquisition does not use gamma at all anymore. Nothing terribly fancy, but it's not exactly intuitive so hopefully this new video will illustrate most of the fundamentals to get you started. Instead of an hour, this time it's only 18 minutes. It's real time from start to finish. I'm sorry for the long "waiting periods" where I'm just waiting for the software to finish its routine, it lasts 1.5 minutes and 30 seconds tops typically at first. The first 4 minutes is literally just stacking & alignment in AS!3. I typically will go faster than this, but wanted to slow down enough to try to talk through what I'm doing as I do it. Hopefully you can see each action on the screen. I may have made a few mistakes or said a few incorrect things or terms, forgive me for that, this is not my day job. I really hope it helps folk get more into processing as its not difficult or intimidating when you see a simple process with only a few things that are used. The key is good data to begin with and a good exposure value. Today's data came from a 100mm F10 achromatic refractor and an ASI290MM camera with an HA filter. I used FireCapture to acquire the data with a defocused flat frame. No gamma is used. I target anywhere from 65% to 72% histogram fill. That's it! The processing is fast and simple. I have a few presets that I use, but they are all defaults in Photoshop. A lot of the numbers I use for parameters are based on image scale, so keep that in mind, experiment with your own values. The only preset I use that is not a default is my coloring scheme. I color with levels in Photoshop, and my values are Red: 1.6, Green 0.8, Blue 0.2 (these are mid-point values).
      Processing Tutorial Video (18 minutes):
      https://youtu.be/RJvJEoVS0oU
      RAW (.TIF) files available here to practice on (the same images you will see below as RAW TIFs):
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zjeoux7YPZpGjlRGtX6fH7CH2PhB-dzv
      Video for Acquisition, Focus, Flat Calibration and Exposure (20 minutes):
      (Please let me know if any links do not work)
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Results from today using this work flow method.
      Colored:

B&W:

SSM data (sampled during 1.5~2 arc-second seeing conditions):

Equipment for today:
      100mm F10 Frac (Omni XLT 120mm F8.3 masked to 4")
      Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (ERF)
      PST etalon + BF10mm
      ASI290MM
      SSM (for fun, no automation)

Very best,

• By BabyPepper
      160mm x 1600mm + Lunt LS50C etalon.
      Thanks for looking!
            <br>    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.