Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are the best astronomy apps for IOS

Not sure if this thread is  in the right place so sorry in advance. Hopefully one of the mods can put it in the correct place.

i was wondering what are the best apps for astronomy ( would be better if they were free) doesn’t have to be used when I have the scope out. I’ve got Stellarium and the basic version of Sky safari not really sure that I want to spend £40 on the pro version  yet anyway. Would like to know which apps you use as well.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Olli.

With Stellarium and Sky Safari you can’t go far wrong and not sure what you’re after.

However, for what it’s worth I also regularly use Moon Globe and Moon Maps, both free I think and, if not, then definitely not expensive.

Happy apping!

There are benefits of the more advanced versions of Skysafari, but well worth waiting for the sales they have fairly regularly rather than paying full price.

I use a few others as below:

Moon Phase Photo Maps - very useful for just quickly seeing which features are on the terminator

Moon Globe - zoomable image globe

MoonMapPro - great detailed lunar photos

ObserverPro is good for understanding the best time to view DSOs

JupiterMoons and Saturn Moons are great, self explanatory ;) 

Plenty more I'm sure.

8 minutes ago, Floater said:

Hi, Olli.

With Stellarium and Sky Safari you can’t go far wrong and not sure what you’re after.

However, for what it’s worth I also regularly use Moon Globe and Moon Maps, both free I think and, if not, then definitely not expensive.

Happy apping!

Just anything astronomy related really don’t really know, was looking for moon related stuff as well so will look into those thanks.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

There are benefits of the more advanced versions of Skysafari, but well worth waiting for the sales they have fairly regularly rather than paying full price.

Another vote for this, but do wait for a sale, I think I got my pro version for about £13 IIRC.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I use a few others as below:

Moon Phase Photo Maps - very useful for just quickly seeing which features are on the terminator

Moon Globe - zoomable image globe

MoonMapPro - great detailed lunar photos

ObserverPro is good for understanding the best time to view DSOs

JupiterMoons and Saturn Moons are great, self explanatory ;) 

Plenty more I'm sure.

Thanks Stu, the Jupiter and Saturn apps look interesting, I always see your screen shots of sky safari everywhere so was going to look at buying it but didn’t realise how expenseive it was.

26 minutes ago, Tim said:

Another vote for this, but do wait for a sale, I think I got my pro version for about £13 IIRC.

Do you know when they usually go on sale or is it just random ? Will probably get it if it goes down to that price.

26 minutes ago, Dinoco said:

Do you know when they usually go on sale or is it just random ? Will probably get it if it goes down to that price.

It is often around astronomical events, I bet they do it around the Mars opposition and perhaps Jupiter too.

13 minutes ago, Tim said:

Sorry Olli I dont know, I just got lucky at the time because I needed it to test a certain mount control.

No worries, will keep an eye out.

+1 for S&T's Jupiter Moons & Saturn Moons... (I can never remember which 'moon' is which without them). 

Sky Safari... (I use the 'basic'). 

Moon Globe for 'our' Moon.

TriAtlas if you want a star atlas. 

...and don't forget FLO's Clear Outside

:thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, domstar said:

The free gas giants app shows the moons, transits and great red spot.

That looks a great free app. Think I had tried it in the past but had forgotten about it. Uranus and Neptune too.

12 minutes ago, Ed in UK said:

Does Sky Safari need an Internet connection in order to operate once it's been downloaded and installed ?

Nope can use it in airplane mode without any problems 

1 hour ago, Dinoco said:

Nope can use it in airplane mode without any problems 

That's right. The only thing that occasionally needs updating is the Asteroid and Comet database when something new comes along....like Starman ;) 

On 3/3/2018 at 08:32, Philip R said:

...and don't forget FLO's Clear Outside

Is Clear Outside only on Android ? Couldn’t find it in the App Store.

Archived