Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Correcting/even out Colour balance in PS

Look in the histogram (Window/histogram), on the piles of lines menu drop this down and select all channels to see the 3 channels (N.B. you might have to undock the histogram and move it if all colours don't show up)  you can either drop down each colour and slide them to match the others, or a shortcut is to merely click on the middle dropper and then on the darkest part of the sky background and this seems to magically balance the colours. 

There's a small tutorial on my website:

https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home/processing-in-photoshop

HTH

Carole 

4 hours ago, carastro said:

Hi Carole, I had a look at this and then a fuller look at your excellent website. Sorry for getting off topic, but one thing that caught my eye was your review of Registar for star alignment of images. Since I moved from DSLR to mono CCD imaging one thing that has plagued me is getting an accurate alignment of stars across the entire image when combining RGB, LRGB, or LHaRGB channels. If I'm reading your review correctly you highly recommend Registar as the solution for this, correct? Best regards, Geof

If I'm reading your review correctly you highly recommend Registar as the solution for this, correct?

Most definitely.  I think you can do it in Pixinsight as well if you already have that.

Carole 

1 minute ago, carastro said:

Most definitely.  I think you can do it in Pixinsight as well if you already have that.

Carole 

Thanks Carole,

No, I don't have Pixinsight. I use ImagesPlus, but it's star alignment routine doesn't always do a great job; it seems to align sub frames for the same filter ok, but when I come to combine the stacked channels it's often just a bit off, so I think I'll take a proper look at Registar.

Regards, Geof

16 hours ago, carastro said:

Yes I had those problems until I discovered Registar, would not be without it.

Carole 

Nor would I! It's infallible.

When working on background sky colour it's a good idea to use the Eyedropper in colour sampler mode set (at the top of the screen) to sample 3x3 or 5x5 average. Place the maximum of 4 markers in well separated parts of the image and the info palette will show the colour value for each sample. I like be at 23/23/23 in RGB but I sometimes have to settle for a slightly darker value when using the Atik 460 which, for some reason, gives a very dark sky.

Olly

On 01/03/2018 at 14:43, carastro said:

Look in the histogram (Window/histogram), on the piles of lines menu drop this down and select all channels to see the 3 channels (N.B. you might have to undock the histogram and move it if all colours don't show up)  you can either drop down each colour and slide them to match the others, or a shortcut is to merely click on the middle dropper and then on the darkest part of the sky background and this seems to magically balance the colours. 

There's a small tutorial on my website:

https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home/processing-in-photoshop

HTH

Carole 

Thanks Carole and everyone else.

Archived