Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Decisions decisions

ShrewView

So, I’ve set the scope out in the garage to cool but now I’m trying to weigh up the pros and cons of observing tonight.

Pro - It’s the last clear spell forecast here for a week so I might regret not taking the chance.

Con - Its -3 already and only going down from here.

Pro - The seeing was great last night. Spent a couple of hours on the moon at over 450x! Very stable and detailed so it decided to max out by barlowing my 3.2mm BST to give over 700 for a test and although that was less detailed it was still acceptable, so wouldn’t want to miss conditions like that again.

Con - Moon is very full now so perhaps a little less to interest me.

Pro - I’d have managed 11 nights this month which ties with my best for a February.

Con - Work again tomorrow and I’ve been a little tired all day from last night.

So a bit of a tie so far. Anyone else in a quandary tonight?

Get out there.

It's minus 7.3 degrees centigrade and falling in my area, in what is normally a maritime climate (meaning unusual), so think yourself lucky.  :)

Someone from Canada will own this thread with even lower temps in a moment. :D

Is there anything that you really want to find and look at? If so, go do it, then get inside and warm up! If not, don’t do yourself in worrying about missing some clear skies. Remember, this is a hobby (at least for most of us) and it is for pleasure and interest. I am currently sitting on the sofa with the fire blazing, happy with all the astronomy, both imaging and visual, that I have already done this year. I don’t want to look at the Moon tonight and imaging is a definite no no, so I feel calm! If you can feel calm not going out, then crack on, keep warm and get some sleep. Though, clear skies, it’s tempting isn’t it?!!?

Archived