Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baby Tak FS60CB & portable rivals 60 - 85mm

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, had one for a while. Very nice for visual, surprisingly capable for only 60mm, and very compact. I used it with a Quark too, great full disk Ha views. Nice option to add the 76mm Objective upgrade which gives a super sharp travel scope which splits apart for travel. Nice.

Yep I have one (well its out on loan)

Splits the double/double

great travel scope did the 2006 total solar eclipse with it.

Issues with blue bloat on imaging.

Not the best focuser I have used, mine needed a bit od adjusting.

2 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

Not the best focuser I have used, mine needed a bit od adjusting.

No, didn't like it much, particularly as I think mine had been used for imaging before....nuff said ;). Treated it to a lightweight FT which was very nice :) 

14 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Can the Tak60 be that much better than the WO61? Could save you a serious amount of dosh if not?

Not sure how they compare but the Tak was definitely better than the WO ZS SD66mm I had before it, CA and a little sharper I would say. Perhaps the latest WO61 is improved though, I think the Tak spec is unchanged.

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not sure how they compare but the Tak was definitely better than the WO ZS SD66mm I had before it, CA and a little sharper I would say. Perhaps the latest WO61 is improved though, I think the Tak spec is unchanged.

I've owned a couple of WO66SD's and thought they were very good, so it's interesting to here the Tak60 is noticeably better. I know the new WO61 uses Synthetic fluorite fpl53, but I can't remember what the WO66 used? Not that glass type is all that's needed for superb optics of course. 

I know there isn't a lot between synth and real fluorite, so maybe the extra money goes into the figure for the Tak optics? Not to say the more budget options are shabby now days from my experience :) 

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

I know the new WO61 uses Synthetic fluorite fpl53, but I can't remember what the WO66 used?

The SD66 was (is) still a lovely little scope. I think it was either undisclosed or 51 glass. I suspect the 61 is now basically up with the Tak, plus it's got that extra 1mm don't forget ;) 

52 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Going for cheaper makes, might get me a larger aperture, say 80-90. But then getting into baby Mak territory. :book1:

Guess it depends on what objects you want to view/image? a Mak is a completely different beast to a short Apo as you know.

2 minutes ago, 25585 said:

How would the Tak do against WO Zenithstar 73? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-zenithstar-73-apo.html

Latter uses FPL53 but no Schott mentioned.

Yeah the 73 is the latest in the line and has only been on the scene for a few weeks. Looks a very nice scope on paper, I can't say I've seen any reviews yet but the extra aperture will no doubt provide a bit of a brighter image and slightly more resolution.

I've owned a few scopes in this category:

Tak FS60C

WO ZS SD66mm

Televue 76

Tak FC-76DC

Stellarvue 80ED

Televue 85

Tak Sky 90mm

Plus others not in this category such as the Vixen 80mm f11 (ish)

Each step up in aperture gives a meaningful and noticeable improvement in light grasp and resolution, but going from either the Tak 60 or SD66 to say a Televue 76 moves you from a position of 'not having to consider it, you just take it anywhere', to 'having to think a bit more about it'. The WO61 I saw at AstroFest was amazingly small and compact, the sliding dew shield helping with that and I would certainly be tempted by one of these. Had I had any slack on the CC it would have fitted very nicely into my pocket ;) 

I have fond memories of the ZS SD66mm, just so tiny for its aperture and very capable. I saw GRS and shadow transits with it, plus nice widefield views of course.

Also the FC-76DC. The split tube made it very portable, whilst the optics were second to none, very sharp and well corrected at f7.5. Better optically than the Televue 76 and lighter too. I do love the TVs (76 & 85) though, built like tanks and very competent, buttery smooth focuser which can be enhanced with the FT microfocuser.

So, Tak 60 at the right price and if the focuser is ok or the WO61, IF you want super portable.

3 hours ago, Lockie said:

Yeah the 73 is the latest in the line and has only been on the scene for a few weeks. Looks a very nice scope on paper, I can't say I've seen any reviews yet but the extra aperture will no doubt provide a bit of a brighter image and slightly more resolution.

I’ve just got the ts optics 72mm f6 fpl53 doublet which looks very very similar to the 73 Williams optics. I haven’t yet got it out under the skies but I thought it was a good price from telescope express.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8866_TS-Optics-Photoline-72mm-f-6-FPL53-und-Lanthanum-Apo---2-5--R-P-focuser.html

The ts optics scope also looks identical to the At72EDII which has got great reviews on cloudynights

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/580234-the-at72edii-is-out/#

It’s super portable due to the sliding dew shield - only 30cm long. I’ll just take a photo of it against the tv60 and tv85.

049ECAFE-9A9B-4982-B96A-6A73FA91B2FE.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

I've owned a few scopes in this category:

Tak FS60C

WO ZS SD66mm

Televue 76

Tak FC-76DC

Stellarvue 80ED

Televue 85

Tak Sky 90mm

Plus others not in this category such as the Vixen 80mm f11 (ish)

Each step up in aperture gives a meaningful and noticeable improvement in light grasp and resolution, but going from either the Tak 60 or SD66 to say a Televue 76 moves you from a position of 'not having to consider it, you just take it anywhere', to 'having to think a bit more about it'. The WO61 I saw at AstroFest was amazingly small and compact, the sliding dew shield helping with that and I would certainly be tempted by one of these. Had I had any slack on the CC it would have fitted very nicely into my pocket ;) 

I have fond memories of the ZS SD66mm, just so tiny for its aperture and very capable. I saw GRS and shadow transits with it, plus nice widefield views of course.

Also the FC-76DC. The split tube made it very portable, whilst the optics were second to none, very sharp and well corrected at f7.5. Better optically than the Televue 76 and lighter too. I do love the TVs (76 & 85) though, built like tanks and very competent, buttery smooth focuser which can be enhanced with the FT microfocuser.

So, Tak 60 at the right price and if the focuser is ok or the WO61, IF you want super portable.

That’s quite a selection Stu. ? 

Quite a fan of small refractors? So Tak 76 your favourite of all those?

6 minutes ago, GavStar said:

That’s quite a selection Stu. ? 

Quite a fan of small refractors? So Tak 76 your favourite of all those?

I think as an airline portable option then yes. The TV85 was lovely though. I know (think?) you are quite happy taking it abroad but I just found it a bit on the heavy side.

EDIT And yes, a big fan of small fracs :) 

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think as an airline portable option then yes. The TV85 was lovely though. I know (think?) you are quite happy taking it abroad but I just found it a bit on the heavy side.

EDIT And yes, a big fan of small fracs :) 

I think it’s fair to say that the tv85 is not very hand luggage friendly ? But it gave me great views of Saturn in Portugal last year...the difference in views between the tv60 and tv85 is (as you would expect) massive.

The TS seems amazing value, & has FPL53, sliding dew hood. 

Only pre-owned TV small fracs I have seen are Prontos so far. Do TV 76 & 85 models have sliding dew hoods? My dear old Genesis has. 

12 hours ago, GavStar said:

I think it’s fair to say that the tv85 is not very hand luggage friendly ? But it gave me great views of Saturn in Portugal last year...the difference in views between the tv60 and tv85 is (as you would expect) massive.

Yes, I think I would take the FC-100 over the 85, probably comparable weight and worth for the aperture and performance. I never took my TV85 overseas, I think I did take the 76 and that felt quite chunky in my hand baggage!

EDIT That 85 still looks lovely though :) 

Archived