Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar photography

Hi

I am wanting to take some photos of the sun.  I know that I must not point my camera at the sun without a proper solar filter in place and this is part of my question I suppose.  I have a LUMIX G80 camera that has an electronic viewfinder so no mirror as in a dslr.  If I was to buy a Baader solar filter for this camera could I then safely view/photograph the sun?

thanks

Yes - You need to make something to hold the Solar film over the whole lens aparture (or over the whole aparture of a telescope).  You could simply tape it in place but that could leave a residue of sticky stuff on the camera :hmh:.

Don't worry if the filter sheet is slightly wrinkly - it will make no difference at all to the image.  Whatever you do don't stretch the filter sheet as that could damage it.  There are instructions for assembling a filter holder here:  Baader Film

Please note:  If you buy film of ND5 (for visual observing) it will still be perfectly OK for photography.  If you but ND 3.8 it will be OK for photography BUT NOT AT ALL FOR VISUAL USE.

19 hours ago, Bizibilder said:

Don't worry if the filter sheet is slightly wrinkly - it will make no difference at all to the image.  Whatever you do don't stretch the filter sheet as that could damage it.  There are instructions for assembling a filter holder here:  Baader Film

According to Baader, the filter material HAS to be mounted in a wrinckly way, so don't even try to get it mounted nice and smoothly...

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 05:21, Megalot said:

I am wanting to take some photos of the sun.  I know that I must not point my camera at the sun without a proper solar filter in place and this is part of my question I suppose.  I have a LUMIX G80 camera that has an electronic viewfinder so no mirror as in a dslr.  If I was to buy a Baader solar filter for this camera could I then safely view/photograph the sun?

thanks

As stated above, the Baader film (Thousand Oaks also make a similar and equal product) over the lens of the camera in a suitable holder will allow photgraphing the Sun. It is called an energy reduction filter, it blocks over 99% of the solar energy so it won't damage the camera.

HOWEVER-- if your camera has a separate viewfinder aperture, you MUST block it from the FRONT to prevent the solar energy from melting it or acting as a focuser and burn whatever is behind the viewfinder (such as your face, maybe). Several layers of black tape, or some dark card stock taped over it SECURELY will do. Do the same for any external light meter, if it doesn't meter through the camera lens.

Archived