Narrowband

Sessions So Far In 2018?

cloudsweeper

2018 has been the best start to a year that I've experienced in terms of clear skies opportunities. I don't have a count to hand but I did four sessions in one week not long ago when normally I'll go for long  periods averaging one session per week or less.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a single session in January and the first half of February, due to the mild, cloudy and rainy weather here in south-west Germany. Since then, five sessions; could have been more, but during the last nights, at -9° C and  with a strong, gusty SE wind I preferred to stay inside. In 2017, 10 sessions in Jan/Feb.

Stephan

I havent kept a record of the number of times ive observed so far this year, but through January and February, I managed to make ten sketches, some lunar, some planetary and some of dso's. Ive had several sessions where i havent drawn anything due to poor seeing or just being lazy. Sometimes its just nice to chill at the eyepiece rather than feeling compelled to record things, and so far this year I really have chilled at the eyepiece. ? 

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Sometimes its just nice to chill at the eyepiece rather than feeling compelled to record things, and so far this year I really have chilled at the eyepiece. ? 

Good point Mike.  I have a strong tendency to record stuff (although I don't find that a burden), but Yes, sometimes it is good to just stare!

Doug.

On 27/2/2018 at 21:35, JoeP said:

I've managed 13 since halfway through January, due to the fact that my GCSE coursework means I have to be out as often as possible to take variable star measurements. I've definitely noticed a huge number of clear skies, at least compared to last year. 

GCSEs seem to have got a lot cooler since I went through them with...out paying them my full attention. That kind of commitment sounds like you've nailed them already.

1 hour ago, elliot said:

GCSEs seem to have got a lot cooler since I went through them with...out paying them my full attention. That kind of commitment sounds like you've nailed them already.

No-one else at school is doing the astronomy GCSE, I'm doing that in my own time.

10 for me... should have been more, but for the horrific weather we've had for the past month here in Memphis, Tennessee.

5 of those sessions were actually in Uruguay, where I was on vacation the end of January. Got "this" close to finishing the AL's Southern Sky Telescopic program (40 of the 50 observations). But it was a thrill to see Omega Centauri, 47 Tucanae, the Carina Nebula, LMC, SMC, etc.

I bought my nephews, who live there, a Meade 130 mini-lightbridge, with the ulterior motive of getting to use it myself, and what a great little go-scope that is. I'll try to go through my notes and pictures to post a review at some point. What a great experience; I'm already looking forward to the eclipse next year, when I'll be able to test it out on the South's winter skies!!

I would have to say roughly 30 sessions, maybe more but that 15"dob is just so easy to wheel out assembled and cooled - I'm at the eyepiece observing in less than 5 mins. Last night the views were spectacular with M81 showing its spirals easily in direct vision. Semi retirement also helps the cause..

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

I would have to say roughly 30 sessions, maybe more but that 15"dob is just so easy to wheel out assembled and cooled - I'm at the eyepiece observing in less than 5 mins. Last night the views were spectacular with M81 showing its spirals easily in direct vision. Semi retirement also helps the cause..

Good going, Gerry.  Roll on full  retirement, eh?

Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived