Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sessions So Far In 2018?

cloudsweeper

Well, despite the frequent reports of unfavourable conditions, I see from my log that I've had a decent 18 sessions under the stars so far this year.  Not bad, considering I don't always go out when I could (including right now - too darn cold, and icy underfoot).

Not that bad then, at least in the north-west of England.  

What about others in the UK, and of course further afield??

Doug.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too many, one dark sky session on Sat 20th Jan and a handful of brief binocular or refractor encounters in the back yard mostly centred upon lunar observing. A mix of work, weather patterns, recovering from a cycling injury have restricted opportunities. Now there is currently 'the beast from the east' impacting my region, at least until the weekend. Eighteen sessions Doug is good going, March of course will be better. 

As of yet Doug I've  only had two sessions although I plan on doing a little report tonight with my new little toy ( ETX 80) so I've got the hang of the little guy for night fishing. Going to try and pick out the m2 along with some of the closer Messier objects that are capable of being found through bins with my new travel scope only being of small aperture ,

i look forward to seeing others replies on this post ?

Nathan 

I haven't counted, but I feel like I've had a good few sessions this year, a mixture of astro and a little solar. There seem to have been a decent number of clear nights, and some nice seeing too. Compared with the last few years it feels like we've had a decent winter and hopefully it will continue.

It's clear out there again now, but I don't think I will brace it, bitter out there, although the shadow and GRS Transit tomorrow morning is tempting...

9 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Now that really is something to grumble about!  :happy11:

Doug.

Yeah, well it is was it is. Living on the west coast of Norway isnt exatcly an ideal Place for stargazing, but I knew that before investing in telescopes, and this hobby is definitely still Worth it. :happy11:

Found my notes for 2014:  More than 30 sessions through March, April and May. Highlight 2014 :  Observing clouds over Mount Elysium  (14 arc Seconds disc)

Only two short (two to three hour) sessions achieved here in the two months of 2018. I probably could have achieved four sessions, but had other commitments.

The weather (cloud cover) in Essex has been pretty appalling since October. I have also had two five night trips to Kelling Heath since then, but each time I have returned home a day early fed up with the 100% cloud cover. Tonight on 'Clear Outside' it is telling me  at FLO HQ, Exeter ; clear skies. Here, 20% -59%  cloud. But outside it is simply bleak, almost total cloud. What is so frustrating is it has frequently  been clear skies all day until night fall. I have never known conditions in East Anglia to be this bad. 

I've managed 13 since halfway through January, due to the fact that my GCSE coursework means I have to be out as often as possible to take variable star measurements. I've definitely noticed a huge number of clear skies, at least compared to last year. 

Our usual good weather in Essex has evidently migrated North and West. But hopefully will be back for the cricket season as it played a major role in the County Championship. But it's been pants from an astronomy point of view. More snow expected tomorrow. 

I have had 9 sessions so far. These are mostly double stars and lunar but I do have the advantage of sliding the roof across if I have the odd rain shower. In the last few weeks in Shropshire we seem to have clearer periods in the evening than in the daylight.

Ive only had the one observing session this year ? I've been concentrating on trying to get into AP and as such I've missed a good few opportunities to simply get set up and just observe. The weather hasn't been great but I was determined to get a good imaging session in on Saturday just gone. Got set up at 6pm, kids to bed at 8pm and set to work. Clouds at 9pm!!! Well I stuck it out and at 2am the skies cleared so I got a couple of hours imaging on M101. But the real reason I stuck with it was I knew Jupiter is high enough now to clear the neighbouring roofs and street lighting and at 5.30am I sat down at the eyepiece and watched Jupiter and 4 moons for the first time ever! Very bright, clear banding and the great spot instantly recognisable. I found around the 16mm gave best views through my Baader Zoom eyepiece. I tried the accompanying 2.25 barlow that marries to this eyepiece but I dont think I'm a fan as it's harder to achieve decent focus but it may be my collimation that isn't perfect. I think perhaps I've tried to run before I can walk and I've come to realise that it's not reasonable to expect to get an imaging session almost every weekend. With the amount of faff it takes to set everything up and get everything working in unison for imaging, I think it needs to be planned in to an almost guaranteed clear all nighter to get good results, and those nights are few and far between. I worry that I will get too frustrated or bored and that I'm missing out on the basics of the entire hobby. Seeing Jupiter on Sunday morning reminded me of how excited I felt when I looked through the eyepiece for the first time back in November, at how much extra there is to see, at seeing M31 for the first time... I'm promising myself to get in more observing time and leave the imaging faff for those rarer all night clear skies. ?

Archived