• ED 120
    • ST 120
    • Evostar 120
    • 200P f/5

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ED120, not that I have owned one yet.

I would be happy to live with a 120mm ED refractor as a single one scope set up, having done so with an ED100 and the extra step up would be the icing on the cake.
However a fully Flourite one would be nicer as would the major wind fall needed to buy one.

I have owned the ED120 - it was good. But I passed it on anyway and while I remember it fondly, I don't miss it. That sort of makes consideration of the other 120mm fracs moot. Having recently overcome my aversion to Newts, the 200p is what I would go for.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just one? 120ED for me, great planetary, lunar and bright DSO views plus  the opportunity for both white light (Herschel Wedge) and Ha solar (via Quark) so all bases covered

A 200P could do all of that without too much trouble.   :evil4::icon_biggrin:

I would go for the 200mm reflector though I wouldn't swap it for my M/N 190 which for me is one of the best scopes they make.  I have seen the 120Ed and I rather liked it but my friend got rid of it quickly as it was too long for his photographic needs in the end, I liked it though.

Alan

For me, of the four options, the 120ED is the clear choice. It's a great scope as are the others though, but provides pretty much CA free views of the moon, can be used with my herschel wedge on the sun and potentially even converted to a reversible 90mm PST mod. The views of galaxies have been surprising even from home. To top it all, binoviewer use for all objects is possible too. Thankfully I don't have to choose. Although I have the Equinox version, I previously had an old champagne 120ED and both are fab. The 120 Equinox though is a bit smaller and fits in my boot.

11 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Rules? I voted for 200P and gave my reason. have I missed something?  No broken rules, no progress!  :grin:

If you only had one ?? was the title Peter!

One scope, only one! 200P means only white light solar with film? ;) 

Archived