Narrowband

StarLight here

StarLight

:wave: hello to everyone here.

Stars have always held me in fascination and awe, I have just bought a Astronomy for Dummies in hope that I will finally be able to name my friends that I see on a regular basis each night. I also have discovered that Venus and Jupiter can be seen this month and more so next month when they get closer together. How exciting!

I'm currently trying to figure out which telescope I should be buying, some are way too pricey, but others are reasonable. I don't want to name the brand names for the telescope I'm looking for, hope people here will point me out to ONE telescope that I will ever use. As oppose to buying one, and then upgrade in a couple of months, as that to me works out to be more expensive than if I bought just one good telescope.

Okay, I'll mooch around the forums to learn and to seek what I find.

StarLight

Welcome to SGL Starlight

Im looking forward to the Jupiter/Venus conjunction in December.. Will be quite a show.

Take your time with the scope choice, an abundance of helpful posts on this forum about it.

Matt

Thank you so much for the welcome, much appreciated.

The budget isn't a problem, as long as it is not astronomical - pardon the pun! - :mrgreen:

I'm impressed with the collection that everyone is recommending, I note Meade is brought up a lot, do I take it that it's great?

What I want to see? Obviously the planets, but also would like to see more of the Milky Way, I saw my first while camping in Barrowdale in Cumbria, no light pollution and I was just standing there transfix at how beautiful the Milky Way is, I've never felt so serene, all those stars too. I cried that night, for all the children out there who are missing this wonderful sight. I knew it was out there, but never saw it until that weekend.

I'm digressing with the memory!

Newtonian (8 inch min) - since I'll be able to see deep sky with this, can I use this to see the planets too? I'm thinking I might have to buy two anyway!

I really do appreciate the feed back with regards to the telescope, obviously I have to do further research on it. Thank you to each and every one.

StarLight

Welcome to SGL! Yes you will be able to see the planets with an 8" Newt. I have one, it' a brilliant all round scope. You could do worse than look at FLO's website which is the big banner at the top of the page. This will give you some idea of prices.

Archived