Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3200 Pheathon - GIF animation...

A GIF animation of 322 x3 second frames showing NEO 3200 Pheathon during its close approach in December last year. It's taken me a while to get around to putting this together...

Animation2.gif.e9f2d8f956f1900d063e3ceb5fa2de9d.gif

Frames were taken during the early evening of December 14th 2017 between 18.11.06 UT and 19.44.57 UT as the object crossed the Perseus/ Andromeda border.  The field is just under a degree wide.  What I think is a sporadic meteor crosses the field about a second in.  I could not find a satellite ID for that time and region, nor do I think it is a Geminind as it seem to come from the wrong radiant.

Any comments or observations welcome.

2 hours ago, Guy Wells said:

'Phaethon' was +2° above the horizon at the time stated above, So I assume you imaged it in December.
Observations? Aside from the animation being severely clipped, it is great. Good work.

Thanks.  I got the month wrong, yes. I will correct the post.  As for “clipping”, the aim was to depict the asteroid movement against a background not too dissimilar from an eyepiece view.  3 second subs to miminise trailing and a requirement to try and keep the GIF file size down restricted the amount of background detail that could (or needed) to be shown.  Moving the dark point over to the left on the sub histograms resulted in a shimmering of the background in the animation that I find annoying.  It’s a compromise.  Thanks for the comment though.

18 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

A GIF animation of 322 x3 second frames showing NEO 3200 Pheathon during its close approach in December last year. It's taken me a while to get around to putting this together...

Animation2.gif.e9f2d8f956f1900d063e3ceb5fa2de9d.gif

Frames were taken during the early evening of December  14th 2017 between 18.11.06 UT and 19.44.57 UT as the object crossed the Perseus/ Andromeda border.  What I think is a sporadic meteor crosses the field about a second in.  I could not find a satellite ID for that time and region, nor do I think it is a Geminind as it seem to come from the wrong radiant.

Any comments or observations welcome.

Thats fab!  It shows nicely with the dark background.  Well worth the wait!

Archived