Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar 100 resources

Stu

I thought, given the current interest in the moon, lunar X/V etc that I would post up some info on the Lunar 100.  This is something which I would love to complete, but do struggle with getting the weather/opportunity to coincide with the necessary phases. Must try harder! I need to document the ones I've seen already and move on from there, note to self!

Much of this info is on SGL anyway, I thought I would bring it together in one current thread to highlight it.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/the-lunar-100/

http://www.astrospider.com/Lunar100list.htm

http://www.salzgeber.at/astro/moon/L100.html

Then of course Doc's wonderfully complete descriptions after he completed the 100 with a 16 inch Lightbridge

One note of caution about the info contained at the end of the OTL100 document. Last night I tried at least to identify the location of Flamsteed P, mentioned as being at it's best on day 10 of the lunar cycle, which I believe was last night. When I checked, it still appeared to be in full shadow so do sanity check this info.

Otherwise, have fun, and do post back how you are getting on.

Lunar 100 Object List.pdf

Lunar 100 object list and notes.pdf

OTL100.pdf

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good thinking Stu. I’ve not done the Lunar 100 either, but seriously mean to do so in a more concerted effort. Some will prove quite fiendish to see. For instance, in my book 21st Centurt Atlas of the Moon, on the section near Clavius, lunar no;94 is a crater right on the rim of the edge of the moon called Drygalsky (see 1st image below). After I took an image last night of that area I tried to see if I could see it, but due to the libration of the moon is was well out of sight as can be seen in my image from last night too (2nd image below). 

D90AE7C7-23DD-4B10-A270-3BB34BE3C200.thumb.jpeg.c2d8d39d3568321c767921fc6d33b08d.jpeg

C2A86933-767E-4701-9ADE-598C599FDDFC.thumb.jpeg.df47fe962769e6608eaa15d5e713e7a2.jpeg

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

Yes, it's surprising just how much effect liberation has and some of these can definitely only be seen at the correct time.

Will see how I get on, stock take of current tally required first, although it would be nice to start afresh.

Great info Stu.

As you say completing the Lunar 100 is quite a challenge, needing to get the libration right to coincide with a clear might.

I've been working on it for a goodly time and seem to be bogged down with a completed count of 85.5, the half is made up from only managing Armstrong from No. 90, haven't managed Aldrin and Collins yet but will keep trying.

Good luck to all of you with this interesting challenge.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Stu would it be useful to make the documents a sticky? If not they will eventually be buried deep in the forum.

Ok, will have a look at this and pull a sticky together. Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

Stu would it be useful to make the documents a sticky? If not they will eventually be buried deep in the forum.

Alan, I've done this now.

I've locked the thread so it remains clear, but if anyone has any more documents or links which would be helpful, just pm me and I can add them :) 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stu said:

Last night I tried at least to identify the location of Flamsteed P

Thanks for posting Stu. I like the Lunar 100 (only done less then half of it) but would warn anyone just starting on it about some of the odder descriptions, which caused me no end of confusion at first. Don't get put off it you sometimes just can't see what the accompanying text suggests - some of this is heavily summarised "points of interest" that you won't see. The description of Flamsteed P (an ancient crater caused by an impact) is the most confusing I've come across (I had to ask for help on here in fact!). The young volcanic crater it speaks of is not Flamsteed P but a tiny 100m craterlet embedded in it's wall, and well beyond the resolving limit of any amateur scope.

It's a great object list though; I find it gives my lunar observing a bit more structure and direction that it would probably have otherwise.

Billy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, billyharris72 said:

Thanks for posting Stu. I like the Lunar 100 (only done less then half of it) but would warn anyone just starting on it about some of the odder descriptions, which caused me no end of confusion at first. Don't get put off it you sometimes just can't see what the accompanying text suggests - some of this is heavily summarised "points of interest" that you won't see. The description of Flamsteed P (an ancient crater caused by an impact) is the most confusing I've come across (I had to ask for help on here in fact!). The young volcanic crater it speaks of is not Flamsteed P but a tiny 100m craterlet embedded in it's wall, and well beyond the resolving limit of any amateur scope.

It's a great object list though; I find it gives my lunar observing a bit more structure and direction that it would probably have otherwise.

Billy.

Thanks Billy. I'm considering amending one of the documents to ensure accurate phases for the best time to view, and also additional help to be able to correctly identify the objects, which, as you say, are not always clear; the Schiller-Zuchius basin and Imbrium lava flows being two more!

Flamsteed P has caused me some confusion, I have assumed that it is the large, broken cirular crater outlined in the attached?  There was also a faint inner crater which I could see, concentric to the outer.

Flamsteed P.JPG

Flamsteed P outline.JPG

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Flamsteed P has caused me some confusion, I have assumed that it is the large, broken cirular crater outlined in the attached?  There was also a faint inner crater which I could see, concentric to the outer.

I also took Flamstead P to be the large broken structure, the Virtual Moon Atlas appears to agree.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks Billy. I'm considering amending one of the documents to ensure accurate phases for the best time to view, and also additional help to be able to correctly identify the objects, which, as you say, are not always clear; the Schiller-Zuchius basin and Imbrium lava flows being two more!

Flamsteed P.JPG

Flamsteed P outline.JPG

Yep! In my book it is labelled as L68 Flamsteed Ring in square H2 below;

B25350D9-6A6A-4FC3-A66F-CFAEA792B36F.thumb.jpeg.ca9dcc93654b0690ef3f394347d7ee9f.jpeg

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

B25350D9-6A6A-4FC3-A66F-CFAEA792B36F.thumb.jpeg.ca9dcc93654b0690ef3f394347d7ee9f.jpeg

Love this book. I've just been through it and marked all the objects it has in the lunar 100 on the actual map so that I can identify them more easily at the eyepiece. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

What is the book? Looks great.

Just looking at another of the descriptions to verify I'm correct. The Schiller-Zuchius Basin is not necessarily easy to work out from the notes. I believe the orange oval is correct, but there is a possibility, I guess, that the shallow basin outlined in red is it?

IMG_7477.PNG

IMG_7477.PNG

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

What is the book? Looks great.

Just looking at another of the descriptions to verify I'm correct. The Schiller-Zuchius Basin is not necessarily easy to work out from the notes. I believe the orange oval is correct, but there is a possibility, I guess, that the shallow basin outlined in red is it?

As per below Stu for title and basin; 

A8EA9280-5FCA-4CCC-9826-CD6020CF5249.thumb.jpeg.d63ffc2bd367bca72b6b709e43d3d37a.jpeg

5079208B-39A4-4501-9C21-34DDEE725E29.thumb.jpeg.97e6707168e5720dd7f10579f27e578f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

As per below Stu for title and basin; 

A8EA9280-5FCA-4CCC-9826-CD6020CF5249.thumb.jpeg.d63ffc2bd367bca72b6b709e43d3d37a.jpeg

5079208B-39A4-4501-9C21-34DDEE725E29.thumb.jpeg.97e6707168e5720dd7f10579f27e578f.jpeg

Looks great, thanks for that.

I still don't think that makes it totally clear, would you say the orange oval is correct?

Mick - @Doc did a great job on the Lunar 100 and I think he also produced his own Lunar 200. He did the job when he had his 16" Meade Lightbridge. I must admit that when I go lunar observing I usually look out for libration by viewing this website - https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4605

Once I have established the area I use the book listed above - turn upside down because I only use a Newt now.

My Lunar 100 is nearly complete - Drygalski has caused me a few problems.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Mick - @Doc did a great job on the Lunar 100 and I think he also produced his own Lunar 200. He did the job when he had his 16" Meade Lightbridge. I must admit that when I go lunar observing I usually look out for libration by viewing this website - https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4605

Once I have established the area I use the book listed above - turn upside down because I only use a Newt now.

My Lunar 100 is nearly complete - Drygalski has caused me a few problems.

Crater Drygalski is very hard even when the moon is at it's greatest libration it's still almost impossible to get a good view.

From my notes I have writtren:

Number 94 Crater Drygalski

Found the crater Casatus with it's two internal craters J & C very easily through the 12.5mm ortho and if I look towards the limb of the moon I could make out craters A. K, and D and in the distance right on the terminator I could see a range of high mountain like objects, which I persume are the 11800 feet wall of the crater Drygalski. I made this asumption mainly due to the fact as Drygalski is the deepest/highest crater between the limb and Casatus so I must have been looking at it's rim.

As you can see I only caught the rim of this crater, I do remember trying a few times to get a better view but it's really hard.

• Like 1

I find the 21st Century Atlas a bit tricky at the eyepiece of a refractor as it is the 'right way round'. However I found a free app for the iPad called QuickFlip which simply flips images - simpler to use than some of the photo editing apps. So, take a pic of the page and flip it on the screen - bingo! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

I find the 21st Century Atlas a bit tricky at the eyepiece of a refractor as it is the 'right way round'. However I found a free app for the iPad called QuickFlip which simply flips images - simpler to use than some of the photo editing apps. So, take a pic of the page and flip it on the screen - bingo! 

Good thinking that man! :)