SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus in the evening twilight

kerrylewis

11 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

Good to see Venus back in the evenings. Nice disc with the Canon binoculars this evening just after sunset although I do have to clamber out onto my bit of flat roof to get a clear SW/W view. :icon_biggrin:

I hope they are stabilizing binoculars Kerry, as we wouldn't want you to fall! :icon_biggrin:

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with Venus as it progresses. Your Tak will really give you some wonderfully sharp views as you follow its phases, and even subtle shading on the cloud tops can be nice to observe.

I am touched by everyone’s concern for my safety!?

To put it in context: I live in a bungalow (so only one storey to fall!) which has been added to over the years leaving one area of flat roof about 2.5m square which I get to via a window from my attic study. 

This area is raised enough to get me above some the obstacles to viewing and I get a good view from the east around to the NW.  A few months ago I did experiment with putting the Ioptron mount and the Tak out there anticipating that it would give a better view of the upcoming low planets. It does that but the roof is of timber construction and so there’s a bit of vibration if I move and space is restricted by the tripod legs (and my weather station!) . I may try it again with the tripod legs set at their shortest which means I can stay away from the edge a bit more ?

To get back to Venus - I have never seen anything more than bright phases Mike so I would be intrigued to see if the Tak shows more. 

...and now Mercury too! 

A beautiful clear sky straight after sunset so ventured out onto my slightly snowy roof. Venus easily spotted with the binoculars but had to wait a few minutes for the sky to be a bit less bright to spot Mercury below and to the west. Fainter in the twilight but clear and just above the bungalow opposite.

Enjoyed that - first sighting for a while. :icon_biggrin: 

1 hour ago, Size9Hex said:

Nicely done. Double concern now we know it’s a snowy roof!! :icon_eek:

I wasn't out there long - and trod very carefully :icon_biggrin: 

Mercury is going to get closer to Venus over the next few days and will actually be higher in the sky after that, so some good opportunities to see it 

Archived